PDA

View Full Version : Sunset in the mountains

Johannes Glännman
09-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi guys...

I have bin spending a week in up north here in Sweden in a national park called "Fulufjället". It was a great time with lots of fantastic nature.....

This is the last image from there.... It was the first time I photographed up on a mountain and found it very hard to do a good comp.

Cheers // johannes

EXIF:
Nikon D300
Nikon AF-S VR 105/2.8 at F9
Tripod

Roman Kurywczak
09-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Hi Johannes,
I like the diferent layers of your comp here.......from the FG colors to the mid ground evergreens and the minimized sky and mtns. The only thing for me is that the FG looked a bit dark and lacked some punch. I made a screen layer of the FG and evergreens of around60%.........then i did a local contrast adjustment on the entire image of USM 20 amount and 37 on the radius..........0 threshold. These are just PP techniques to a very nicely coposed mtn. scene. Let me know what you think

Robert Amoruso
09-15-2008, 08:53 AM
Johannes,

Great composition. I like the use of colors, the layers of the slopes and the weather to create depth in the image. Roman's rework really helped the image reach its full potential.

Paul Marcellini
09-15-2008, 03:06 PM
I love the comp. All the layers work really well. Roman's processing works well to maximize the image. The evergreens do look odd to me though. Almost flat and posterized or something. Looks like beautiful country, thanks for sharing.

Johannes Glännman
09-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi there guys. Happy you like my comp since it was quite hard (as usual). I cant really agree with the work Roman did. It looks very odd to me and to bright. Almost like it was daylight but in a sunset mode. I can agree that I can make the FG a bit more bright to bring it out more but I think Romans exampel is to much.

Cheers // johannes

Kaushik Balakumar
09-16-2008, 04:25 AM
Nice layers of FG rocks/leaves followed by the trees (as we move upwards) & finally the far off mountains.
Only felt that the trees (in the upper-middle adjoining the mountains) look flat (i.e. no contrast) & lack sharpness. That apart, exposure looks fine on my monitor.

Johannes Glännman
09-16-2008, 04:42 AM
Thank you Kaushik...

I made a version I like. A bit brighter but still that sunset feeling I think....

I have no idea why but when I upload the picture on the internet it does not look the same in light/contrast as it does when I show it on Capture NX2 so if I show the new picture I made it wont look the same as it do on my computer...

Cheers // johannes

Markus Jais
09-18-2008, 06:32 AM
beautiful shot with great colors. I like the composition. The repost made it even better.

Markus