PDA

View Full Version : This one's for Sir Gus

Amy DeStefanis
09-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Ok - This is my first attempt with the 12mm extension tube: A bougainvillea bloom.

Nikon D80
60mm Macro 2.8 w/ 12mm tube
Natural light from window
Tripod assist
Lens was 4 - 3/8 inches from the white stamen (?) flower
ISO 500
1 second @ f/32

PP: I actually reduced the exposure .42 I went back to reshoot thinking I could maybe use a little faster shutter, but the bloom had wilted considerably. I shot some more anyway, but still like this compo better..... When the sun is off the back of the house, I may drag everything on the lanai for better light....

Selectively sharpened the white area in CS3.

Hope you like it! It's all downhill from here, right???

Amy D.

Gus Cobos
09-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Very nice Lady Amy...you make me proud...:) composition, image and exposure are good. One suggestion, try to move around and compose looking through the camera to get the best angle possible before squeezing the trigger. I know that you were on a tripod; but after awhile; like I said, it becomes second nature to you...in addition I would clone out the green leaf on the left side of the frame, and reconstruct the petal...all in all, very, very good my lady...:):cool:

Julie Kenward
09-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Amy, nice work! Great DOF and beautiful subject matter. Your one lower petal was a bit on the "hot" side of magenta so I tried to lower the saturation of the magenta on that one petal and it didn't look right. Next, I tried a levels adjustment and lowered the mid tone range to almost half. This brought the petal closer to the color of the others but it did leave a bit more dark area so I cloned some of that out with the clone stamp set at 50%. I did this really quick just as a "show and tell."

Amy DeStefanis
09-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks, Jules.

It really shows up bright as sRGB - I hadn't noticed. I gave it a try, too, and cropped out the green leaf....

It still has some magenta in that lower petal, but it's not as hot, or saturated now....

Amy D.

Julie Kenward
09-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Looks MUCH better now Amy! Now it just looks like a natural progression of color whereas, before, it seemed like a hot spot. Great repost!

Aristotle Georgiou
09-16-2008, 06:27 AM
Beautiful image Amy!