PDA

View Full Version : Shiprock New Mexico

susanschermer
09-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Early AM light. Adjusted in Photoshop with Viveza: added more red to rocks and darkened sky.
Canon 5D, 28-135 lens @ 44 mm.

Roman Kurywczak
09-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Hi Susan,
I think the comp in this image is excellent.......the FG boulder makes a very nice anchor point and the upside down triangle it makes with the right formation and the large wall is very nice. A nice sweeping rigdgeline also works very well. Not sure on this.....but the large rock wall looks a bit over sharpened???........as a lot of detail is lost. I took your image into PS and applied a linear burn layer at 50% opacity on the sky to bring out even more detail........this is where my favorite filter.......the 3 stop grad ND.......would have achieved the same result in the field.......but I digress........the color looked a little off to me also........so I added a bit of blue color correction and thefinal punch was a local contrast adjustment using USM at 20 radius.......amount 37........threshold 0. Definitely made the image pop more.........but let me know your thoughts.

susanschermer
09-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Roman,
Thanks for all your helpful critiques, not only on my images, but I've learned from much of your input.
This is a repost made directly from the RAW file, the only adjustments I made are the ones you made. I didn't do any sharpening.
Do you see any difference?
Susan

Roman Kurywczak
09-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Hi Susan,
I do see a difference....but not much........maybe that is just the texture of the rock??? Either way.........wouldn't worry too much about it.......doesn't detract from this very nicely done composition!

Robert Amoruso
09-15-2008, 08:44 AM
Susan,

Excellent composition on the image. Roman captured some good recommendations that I agree with. Nice work.

Paul Marcellini
09-15-2008, 03:14 PM
I do like the last version best, color wise. Comp is great, and i also think this would make a good b/w. Nice work.