PDA

View Full Version : Future of Four Thirds System

Gyorgy Szimuly
09-14-2008, 05:27 AM
Panasonic has nothing to loose by introducing the world's first digital SRL camera body, the Lumix G1, using the revolutionary Micro Four Thirds System. We are witnessing the born of a completely new interchangeable lens line-up made especially for the Micro Four Thirds System (MFTS) for the very first time. As other leading brands has a tremendous amount of 'first generation digital' lens sold the question could be obvious whether the MFTS will really rock the world and we can see new MFTS lenses from top competitors as well.

How do you guys see the future of the current Four Thirds System? I guess in the hope of getting lighter camera bodies and lenses (even prime ones) there will be a heavy demand from the consumer side to follow Panasonic's innovation. I'm also pretty sure it will not happen by overnight. :D

Szimi

Ed Cordes
09-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Why do we need a smaller sensor and an entirely new line of lenses?

Robert O'Toole
09-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Panasonic has nothing to loose by introducing the world's first digital SRL camera body, the Lumix G1, using the revolutionary Micro Four Thirds System. We are witnessing the born of a completely new interchangeable lens line-up made especially for the Micro Four Thirds System (MFTS) for the very first time. As other leading brands has a tremendous amount of 'first generation digital' lens sold the question could be obvious whether the MFTS will really rock the world and we can see new MFTS lenses from top competitors as well.

How do you guys see the future of the current Four Thirds System? I guess in the hope of getting lighter camera bodies and lenses (even prime ones) there will be a heavy demand from the consumer side to follow Panasonic's innovation. I'm also pretty sure it will not happen by overnight. :D

Szimi

I agree this is really a milestone, a huge advance.

Panansonic is the first manufacturer to go beyond the limitations of the old film mirror box/ pentaprism legacy. An EOS-1DSMKIII for example, is basically a updated EOS-1D. The 1D was based on a EOS-1V (film camera). So basically all modern DSLRS are based on a film body.

Without the restrictions of film camera desing there is no reason Camera designers can design TV sized HD electronic viewfinders, 100-200 fps and unlimited shutter speeds and sync speeds in a much smaller body/package since we dont need a glass pentaprism.

The future will be amazing but I will miss the mirror, shutter cocking motor drive sounds of the current cameras :(

Robert