PDA

View Full Version : Canoe and Lake

Robert White
09-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Taken 8/4/08 on a wilderness camping trip on Lac Duman, La Verendrye, Quebec.
Canon EOS 5D with EF24-105 IS USM lens at 24 mm.
1/250 and f/8.0
ISO 640

Paul Pagano
09-13-2008, 08:22 AM
Hi Robert. A beautiful place. I can't decide if I like the tilted horizon on this one or not. This certainly looks like an excellent place to spend a beautiful day. Incidentally, I grew up down the road from you in Essex, CT.

Bruce Murden
09-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Hi Robert, and welcome to BPN. Glad to see you posting!

I like the amount of far shoreline you picked framing the edge of the view with the upsweep of taller (closer) pines, and having the canoe to tell a story of outdoor escape and bliss. However, I do think the horizon here needs to be horizontal. I rotated & minimally cropped the image, lightened the canoe, added some contrast, and adjusted the blues to be more vibrant, for a different take that for me adds more to the good location you already picked. Just my thoughts on where you can take this image to be more dramatic and have the landscape really pop.

Keep on posting. Glad to have you join our community!

Roman Kurywczak
09-13-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi Robert,
Welcome to the forum! like Bruce's correction of the horizon and his PP corrections............I hope you can recover the whites a bit more............but in the field..........my recommendation is to use the grad ND filter. Nice use of a FG element to balance the image.........but mixed light is always a challenge even in the best of situations.

Robert Amoruso
09-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Robert,

Welcome to the landscape forum. You already got some good recommendations and I will just echo Roman's comment on th lighting from bright sky to the shadowed FG does make for a problematic situation so his recommendation of the GND filter is a good one.

Robert White
09-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I agree with the rotation and changing the contrast in the sky and canoe. Robert White