Cheryl Flory
09-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Canon 40D
Canon 28-135 lens

1/25 hand held
F8
ISO 640
105mm

I tried a different cropping on this image, going for the look of the frog contemplating jumping out of the image to the viewer.

the bg is a bit less distracting than the one with the purple flowers.

I didn't have much time to get the image, these frogs are extremely timid, and since it was also on a tree trunk, I couldn't use a tripod. So I leaned the camera against the tree for the shot. the trouble was when the frog kept breathing and blurring his throat in the images. Guess I couldn't ask him to stop breathing. But I like the moss and fern leaf.

would appreciate your critiques.....

Desmond Chan
09-12-2008, 08:22 PM
In this photo it looks like a big frog :)

The eyes look sharp to me. More depth of field would be better. Considering the light, or the lack of it, you had to deal with...ISO 640 f6.3 1/25 sec...probably not a whole lot you could do unless you could tell the frog to freeze for a sec ;) Still, if it were me, I would bump up the ISO.

Composition-wise, I think you could crop the left a bit. I may also blur the background a little bit, especially those leaves on the rear left of the frog, and some some vignetting, too, to darken the top left area of the photo cuz I find it a bit too bright there. My $0.02.

Gus Cobos
09-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi Cheryl,
I like what you were trying to accomplish. I did a few modifications to your composition to enhance your subject and bring out the best in him...:D I cropped from the left of the frame, and added more canvas to the right; cloning in some of the foreground. I blurred the rocks and cloned out the leaf to the right, selective sharpened the eyes and face; boosted contrast, and kicked up the hue just a tad...see if you agree...:cool:

Cheryl Flory
09-12-2008, 08:55 PM
I see how the bg is still distracting, especially the bright area in the ul corner. But the more I look at this image, the less I like it. the throat and nose bother me more and more. will try something else next time.

Jackie Schuknecht
09-12-2008, 09:13 PM
You really got the focus on the eyes. Way to go! Maybe a gaussian blur for the background would make him stand out more. You have a lot of garden visitors:)

Cheryl Flory
09-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Jackie, garden visitors are all I have around to photograph! :(
In fact, I had to import this one......

the g blur is another good idea. thanks.

Now that I think about it, my other image probably has the same problem as this one---dark subject on white background........ grrrrr talk about distracting!

Alfred Forns
09-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi Cheryl You got it .... dark subject with light bg !!!!!

Not sure if you could have moved around any for an even bg, probably not. mIght consider pointing the camera down for more foreground leading up to the frog. Do like making the image at its level and the precise point of focus. The re post looks really good !!!

Desmond Chan
09-12-2008, 09:58 PM
I played with it a bit. Just another idea and approach.

Lance Peters
09-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Hi - all good idea's above - desmonds repost works best for me :) :)

Alfred Forns
09-13-2008, 08:33 AM
I like this re post also It brings in those eyes and eliminates all distractions !!!

Harold Davis
09-13-2008, 10:29 AM
desmond's repost is in your face!! very cool!! think i would still like to see a little more room all around. nice job with the focus on the eyes. really sharp!!

Oscar Zangroniz
09-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Great capture Cheryl, eyes in focus. Excellent re post by Desmond.
Congrats,

Cheryl Flory
09-13-2008, 05:24 PM
thank you everyone for the comments! The blurry nose and throat don't bother you???

Desmond Chan
09-14-2008, 02:43 AM
thank you everyone for the comments! The blurry nose and throat don't bother you???

I think I have referred to them in my comment:

More depth of field would be better. Considering the light, or the lack of it, you had to deal with...ISO 640 f6.3 1/25 sec...probably not a whole lot you could do unless you could tell the frog to freeze for a sec ;) Still, if it were me, I would bump up the ISO.