PDA

View Full Version : amazon orb weaver

Jim Caldwell
01-13-2008, 09:09 PM
I made this image deep in the amazon jungle in Peru in April last year. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to identify the spider and would welcome any experts who could tell me what it is! Normally I don't like the subject right in the middle of the shot, but the webbing is intriguing and decided to crop it this way. I would appreciate comments.

The jungle is often so dark and dense, the only images that are possible are macros and I normally kept my 20d with a 100-400mm and my 1d set up for macro shots.

Image made with a Canon 1d MK II n, Canon 100mm macro, 1/80 sec. at f/2.8, exposue on manual, Canon ring flash - ISO at 800.

joel quenneville
01-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Great job! Is this the underside of the spider? I would have prefered to see the eyes however. The centered composition doesn't bother me. I think I would crop a little off the top.

Jim Caldwell
01-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Hi Joel and thanks for the comment. Yes, this is the underside, the jungle was very thick here and the trail muddy. I just had a very close encounter with a fer-de-lance snake the evening before (I stepped on it!) and so this evening I was hesitant to leave the trail again!

Alfred Forns
01-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Interesting encounter Jim !!!!! Agree on cropping a bit from top Will focus more attention on spider !!! Might have back down a bit on the flash? I like it a lot

Robert O'Toole
01-14-2008, 05:31 AM
Middle of the frame works just fine for this image.

Stopping down a 1/3 or 2/3rds or backing off the flash power a bit would have helped the exposure which is a little bright and harsh.

I know what you mean about rain forests. Walking around off a trail in the jungle in SE Asia I once came across hornets as thick as my thumb. They were very pissed and all I could do is think about the fact that there are sp of hornets in Asia that can kill. I took a couple of shots anyway but I was shaking so much I had trouble getting good focus, so I gave up.

Robert

Matthew Pugh
01-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi
My personal choice would probably have been for slightly more DOF to sharpen the lower legs a little more, mostly because with this orientation of the subject I would probably have reversed the negative space areas of the image. A tighter look to the top areas, and a bit of falling into space below. Perhaps just because I find spiders more scary that way
As already mentioned the flash effect is a little upon the harsh side of things, and I think this could have been either toned down or diffused.
Having said all this - this is a pretty cool shot as seen, with plenty of impact
I hope someone can nail the ID for you
All the best
Matthew

Mike Moats
01-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Hey Jim, beautiful looking spider. its a tough call on the centering of the spider, on one hand offsetting the spider would allow more of the interesting patterns of the web as a supporting cast to the main subject, and by centering it, your attention is all about the spider. Its personal preference. I agree with earlier comments with a little more DOF to make the hairs on the legs sharper. I think the dark BG really make the spider pop. Well done.

Jim Caldwell
01-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Thanks for all the great comments!!

Kaushik Balakumar
01-15-2008, 12:11 PM
I second Robert Toole with regards to over-exposure due to flash usage.
And well, anything from amazon forests is of course a priced possession !

rgds,
Kaushik