PDA

View Full Version : Hummer Taking a Sip

Keith Bauer
09-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Taken in Albuquerque. I had a feeder about 12" above some flowers that I hoped would attract the hummers.

Canon 20D
500mm F/4 1.4X Converter

1/500 @ f/5.6
ISO 200

About 80% of original image

Comments and Critiques Appreciated.

Daniel Cadieux
09-12-2008, 11:25 AM
If you had a bit more room above to add back it would be great. The only other thing that bothers me is the shadow on the bill. Otherwise very nice. I like the forward wings surrounding each side of the flower!

Greg Basco
09-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Hi, Keith. Looks like you're getting a head start for our hummingbird photography next year in Costa Rica! Was this taken with natural light or was there also flash involved? The lighting is quite nice, and I like the way the bird and flowers pop from the dark BG. I always prefer there to be separation between the wings and the flower, easier said than done, I know :-)

Cheers,
Greg

Keith Bauer
09-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Hi, Keith. Looks like you're getting a head start for our hummingbird photography next year in Costa Rica! Was this taken with natural light or was there also flash involved? The lighting is quite nice, and I like the way the bird and flowers pop from the dark BG. I always prefer there to be separation between the wings and the flower, easier said than done, I know :-)

Cheers,
Greg
HI Greg:
This particular shot was natural light. I've done a bit with multi flash setups and am certainly looking forward to the Costa Rica trip to work more on it.

Regards, Keith

Doug Brown
09-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Like it a lot Keith; I'm a big fan of natural light hummingbird photography. Great sharpness and BG. It's a little tight in the frame, but I like everything else. Thanks for posting!

Sabyasachi Patra
09-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Lovely. Tight framing is already mentioned. I like it.

Axel Hildebrandt
09-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Very nice setting, BG and details. I might give it a bit more space at the top.

Greg Basco
09-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Hi, Keith. Well, the natural light certainly worked well on this image. I asked because it almost looks like very well-done studio lighting!

Cheers,
Greg