PDA

View Full Version : Pileated Woodpecker

William Currie
09-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Canon Mark III 600 F4 1.4 converter 1000 ISO 1/800 Sec F 5.6 Photographed on Gabriola Island B.C. I was fortunet to use my friend Teds camera and lens the shot is a little tight i/m use to the 500 F4 . But i still like it

Desmond Chan
09-12-2008, 01:09 AM
Sharp and good colors. I agree with you that it's a little tight. Would be better if more room at the top, IMO.

Linda Robbins
09-12-2008, 02:29 AM
Good exposure control with detail in both the blacks and whites. I really like the diagonal composition of the apples and all that great color. The bird is obviously enjoying the apples! The background is clean and complimentary. Wish for a little head turn toward the camera. I think you could have changed your f=stop for a little more dof. Itt is tight in the frame as you mentioned - you would want to include the bottom of the lowest apple and have more room above. A nice capture!!

Axel Hildebrandt
09-12-2008, 05:32 AM
Great find, setting and BG. I agree regarding more room and wider DOF. I wish the head were turned more toward you.

Randy Stout
09-12-2008, 07:18 AM
William:

I really like this behavior shot, as I have not seen the Pileateds eating fruit before. Neat. I am distracted by the relatively bright diagonal branch in the right corner, and find that it keeps pulling my attention. I mentally tried cropping it out, but that would make the bird even tighter. If you could tone it down a bit, that would help.

Thanks for sharing. One of my favorite birds.

Randy

Steve Large
09-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Hi Brad,
Nice shot. I never realized that they had those white bands on their bellies like that. Looks like he comes to that tree quite often judging by the other apples :-)

We should get together sometime for another shoot. Enjoyed our trip to Neck Point.

Steve

DarrenMcKenna
09-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Nice shot William, I like your shot even with it being a little tight composition wise. This is a species high on my wish list.