PDA

View Full Version : Where's that fish?

Richard Waas
09-11-2008, 09:19 PM
This is my second attempt at a bid photo. I photographed several different birds while on Sanibel Island this past week with my Canon 40D. Not many birds yet, but I'm trying. ISO 200, F/8.0, 1/400 sec, EF 70-200mm F/2.8 with EF 2X II Extender, 280mm, Pattern Metering, Auto Exposure, Auto WB. No Flash. Comments Welcome.

Gus Cobos
09-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Richard,
You are going to get twenty lashes for cutting the bird's feet off...:eek: Ten lashes for not giving him enough space for the tail, and five lashes for the head angle. It needs about .4 degrees CCW rotation. I find the color rendition on the bird a tad on the dark side...:cool:

Richard Waas
09-11-2008, 09:39 PM
You know, we are all trying to learn, but by saying wrong head angle, .4 degrees CCW rotation, etc. I have no idea what you are talking about. What is the right head angle? What needs to be rotated? How much space do you leave behind the tail? If I know what to look for it will make it easier for me. I've never photographed birds. Please help....... By the way, my wife did say I cut his feet off.

Desmond Chan
09-11-2008, 10:27 PM
I think it's not that bad. Could be better of course. A bit more room on the left aka leaving more space behind the tail should make the image look better. And you knew about the missing feet part. To me, it doesn't look like you need any rotation (usually it's about what is level should look level in the photo). And I'll leave the head-angle-police to take care of the head angle part cuz, if there's any, it looks very subtle.

Lance Peters
09-12-2008, 01:29 AM
Hi Richard - do yourself a favour and ge a hold of Arties books - will make life a lot easier and explain all the mysteries.

Basically - you shouldnt cut any part of the bird off - Unless you are doing it on purpose.
Horizon lines should be straight. Bird shouldn't look like he is wlaking/swimming tilited up/downhill. (.4 degree rotation means rotating the image clockwise or counter clockwise by that amount of degree's)
Head angle can be complicated - but best to have the birds head turned slightly towards the camera - want the eye and the bill on the same plane. There are of course exceptions.

The educational forum also contains a wealth of information.
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5596
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7781

:)

Richard Waas
09-12-2008, 05:55 AM
These are the things I needed to know.... In this case the bird did look like he was walking downhill, Should you rotate a bit to straighten him up? Thanks for all the help. I'm on my way...... And probably to a bigger lense too! I'll post another and we'll see if I'm learning. Thanks Again!!!

Lance Peters
09-12-2008, 07:15 AM
keep em coming richard :) :) ;)

Oscar Zangroniz
09-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Hey richard, other than the feet (which you already know) and a slight head angle, your bird is sharp and well exposed. Background is fine.
Regards,

Alfred Forns
09-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Welcome to the world of bird photography Richard !!! ...... just crank up the computer, drift over to Hunt's Photo and order a new 600 VR :)

.... besides suggestions the image is a little underexposed but I do like what you are trying to do. btw most suggestions are just that ... suggestions. At time you can do something totally different and make it work but for most you will find useful.

Alberto Oria
09-12-2008, 06:49 PM
:)Great start Richard, I agree with the comments above. I am in the same situation as you, but this is the best place to learn, keep them coming:)

Jackie Schuknecht
09-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Just would like to see the feet. Otherwise looks pretty good to me:)