PDA

View Full Version : The Conductor

Harold Davis
09-11-2008, 05:06 PM
I need a suggestion on which way I should go here. I've had the Bigma for some time now and it's been my baby through the good times and the bad. Problem is, it doesnt do action shots very good at all and I've just about had enough!! Is there anything out there, lens wise, that will not break the bank. I'm thinking this is a stupid question and I know I've visited this before. Any help would be appreciated.

On this one, the exposure was perfect, but I feel the details are greatly lacking and I dont think there's any PP that will bring what I am looking for. If I am wrong, please tell me. Only thing I did was a slight crop for compo, added 7 points of saturation and one round of sharpening. and straightened the horizon.

Thanks for looking and I appreciate the help!!

Amy DeStefanis
09-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Your post is well-named!

I'm having the same dilemma over lenses, so I'm not sure I will be much help there.

I would be pretty happy if I'd gotten this image!!!!

:)

Amy D.

Lance Peters
09-11-2008, 07:24 PM
HI Harold - can feel your pain here - I dont think there is much else in that price point hat is going to do any better for you.

The sigma 120-300 F2.8 is supposed to be good, as is the 300 F2.8.
The sigma F4.5 500mm (hsm) is also very good - but expensive over here.
Nikon 300 F.4 is also supposed to be quite good for the price - although not sure how it would go by the time you add a 1.7 converter to it.

The Nikon 200-400 is my dream lens - hope to get one, ONE DAY.
Good glass brings good prices even second hand - you might be able to save a few $ by keeping a eye on ebay, if you can avoid getting scammed.

Once you get past that 300mm you are really into the pro glass and pro prices.
I am very happy with my Sigmonster, though it is a bugger to cart around and certainly draws some attention.

Hope that helps - probably confused you even more - Bottom line - we alll need to win the Lotto.
:)

Desmond Chan
09-11-2008, 07:56 PM
On this one, the exposure was perfect, but I feel the details are greatly lacking and I dont think there's any PP that will bring what I am looking for.

Just testing to see what you're looking for :)

Gus Cobos
09-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Daktari; first of all, congrats on the in coming capture...:p:D:) Composition wise its good with a nice diffused pastel background. NOW.......:eek::D Not breaking the piggy bank; I recommend the Nikkor 300mm f/4D. This lens is razor, tack sharp; you can combine it with either a Nikkor 1.4 or 1.7 T/C for about $2,000.00 +/-...:cool: If you go the Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 route, then your looking at about $5,000.00 +/-

Oscar Zangroniz
09-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Nice flight action my friend. It actually looks very decent as far as sharpness is concerned. I'm very happy with my Sigma 300 2.8 and a 1.4tc. Focus seems ok and as far as image quality, I can't complain.
Regards,

Alfred Forns
09-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Great re post by Desmond !!!!! Love it !!!

Harold the image is not bad at all I do see detail not much to complain Would like to have seen a different in camera framing.

Lens wise the best choice would be a 200-400 VR Hard to beat and its at the lower end of the high prices. With a crop factor camera its a 300-600 Another choice is the 300 4.0 I love mine and used it a lot. Works well with the 1.4 and not bad with the 1.7 The AF slows but is fully usable also sharp.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
09-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Hi Harold,
Can't really join in the big lens debate, but I like your image anyway - it made me smile - well named!!
Regards,
Nicki

Nonda Surratt
09-12-2008, 06:43 PM
I like the image, great name. Don't see an issue with the detail at that distance.

Super repost Desmond

Jackie Schuknecht
09-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Great capture. Really like it. Is your horizon straight:) We have the HA police, and the horizon angle police (of which you are commander in chief ) Just kidding, but I will be checking your horizons from now on, so I hope they are straight!

If you need to rob a bank to buy the lens of your dreams, I will join you. The canon 600 is only 7600 US. I will drive the car:)