PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Skippers

John Cooper
01-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Once a year I journey up into the highlands of New South Wales, Australia to visit one of my favourite habitats - the sphagnum moss bogs. Arriving on site before sunrise is like walkig into a different world! The abundace of dew laden insects hang from their overnight perches like a collection of jewel studded broaches.
This pair of Alpine Skippers were fortuitously perched on the same plane allowing sharp focus on both subjects.
Canon EOS 5, Canon 100 macro lens, Velvia 50 rated at ISO 40. Natural early morning light, 15 secs @ F16.Tripod;) Film scanned with Nixon LS-50 scanner at 4000dpi.

Jim Caldwell
01-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Amazing image, John! At first I thought those little skippers were frozen in ice! The image is so nice, I would like to see it cropped a bit closer on the butterfles.

Gosh, I miss velvia!!

Alfred Forns
01-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Just the suggested crop for me !!!!! Appealing image Don't remember seeing so much dew on Bflies before Big Congrats !!!

Robert O'Toole
01-14-2008, 05:35 AM
Excellent image John.

The details and soft light are very appealing.

Good work, thanks for the post.

Robert

Matthew Pugh
01-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Hi
A pretty cool looking couple of skippers, and a delightful image
All the best
Matthew

D. Robert Franz
01-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Almost like a mirror image. Another thought on comp would be a vertical image with the skippers near the top of the frame emphasizing the precarious perch. Not sure if that would havee been possible but a thought... Like it as is by the way..

Mike Moats
01-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Hey John, this is an awesome find! The dew adds such a nice touch, and you did a great job on the details. My suggestion would be a real tight crop that would put the B-flys right in your face. By filling up the frame with these guys you can view more of the details in the wings and dew. Well done!

Axel Hildebrandt
01-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Great find and well done, John. The dew makes it really special. I could see this a bit tighter but like it as is.

Nicole Brooker
01-15-2008, 03:37 AM
I've never seen anything like that and what a cool thing to see. I like the dew and the symmetry. Nice background too.