PDA

View Full Version : Death Valley Sunrise - Film Version

Michael Pancier
01-13-2008, 08:49 PM
I packed my medium format camera for my trip to Death Valley and I'm glad I did. the chromes look great on the light box.

Mamiya 7ii w/Mamiya 50mm 4.0

f/11; shutter unrecorded
Provia 100F;
ISO 100
6x7 slide Scanned at lab during processing
I added additional processing in CS 2
minor crop on top

Location: Zabriskie Point -- shot this as the light started to hit the mountain peaks in the background.

Chris Starbuck
01-13-2008, 09:14 PM
What a color palette! I like the layers upon layers of hills reaching into the distance. Also like the way the red ridge on the right points toward the pink mountains in the distance. What do you think about cropping down from the top to just above the dark cloud at left?

Paul Marcellini
01-14-2008, 09:01 AM
I like how the cool blues sort of frame the image. All I gotta say is print big.

Jason Hahn
01-14-2008, 01:43 PM
With those colors and rocks it looks like a scene from another planet :). Great depth to the scene, I really like the layers of color and texture, and the lines in the foreground hills keep your eye moving throughout the scene. I like Chris' crop suggestion, that is right where I would consider cropping it as well.

Jason

John Cooper
01-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Lots of imapct Michael - just love those rolling mountains leading you into the image. The suggested crop works well for me.

Fabs Forns
01-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Wow, talk about getting colors out of those rocks!!!
The very first think I thought was loose some from the top.

Wonderfully done, partner :)

Guillermo Luis Cozzo
01-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Hi Michael! What a great light!!!...amazing depth of field on this picture...agree with the crop decision in order to get the horizon out of the center of the image.

Best Regards!
Guillermo

Philippe Collard
01-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Hello Michael,

Great to see somebody still shooting slides. :) This photograph is super! The light is amazing and the 3D effect is really there. I am not familiar with these filters but I am asking still, do you think a light ND grad would have make it better? I know this camera is a RF so filters might not be obvious to use.

Congrats and cheers,

Philippe.

PS : Please post more slides!