PDA

View Full Version : Praying Mantis

Joanna Trescott
09-11-2008, 10:28 AM
This guy is hangng out in my back yard. I fiddled with many different angles and f stops. All his appendages go different directions and it is hard to get them all in focus. Liked this one the best. Canon 20D, 100mm lens, 1/50 @ f7.1, ISO 400, tripod mounted.

Julie Kenward
09-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Yes, these guys don't make it easy, do they? I do wish a bit more of this was sharp - especially that front eye. Did you also notice that you have a few dirt marks (either from the lens or your camera sensor)? There's one right above his eyes and one to the right about halfway to the frame edge.

I think you probably did the best your could with such a hard subject but want to encourage you to keep trying different angles and f-stops if the opportunity presents itself because he'd make a great portrait if you could just nail that DOF.

Jason Kinsey
09-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Neat shot!!! I see the dust spots too, but like the image overall!!!! If only they'd stay still longer.....

Mike Moats
09-12-2008, 05:12 AM
Hey Joanna, I like the pose and crop, good details on the head. I agree it would have been nice with more DOF, (I would have liked to seen more on the front legs) but when shooting in this close on a deep subject like this and still maintain a clean BG its about impossible. I think you did well.

Ed Vatza
09-12-2008, 07:19 AM
Interesting composition, Joanna. We had a mantis in our yard for about a week. I went out a couple of times and just couldn't get an image that I was happy with. DOF and dust spots have been addressed, This is probably just me, but I find the those flower petals that serve as the "perch" to be a bit distracting. Somehow, my mind sees a mantis on either a green stem or brown branch. How's that for a preconceived bias! ;):D

Joanna Trescott
09-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Thank you all for your comments. Julie -- I can't believe I didn't see those spots! Here is another one where I shot at more DOF (f14). The background is a little more busy. Idon't see much improvement over f7.1.