PDA

View Full Version : Bull Thistle

Ed Vatza
09-11-2008, 05:57 AM
I went out for a bit last evening to see what wildflowers might still be in bloom. There wasn't much of interest but the Bull Thistles were still in full bloom. As I looked at this particular flower that was in a heavily shaded area, the sun just peeked through the trees and shown directly on this single flower.

Canon Rebel XT; Sigma 150mm Macro lens; Canon 430 EX Flash with LumiQuest Softbox mounted on a flexible bracket; tripod-mounted with Novoflex focusing rail.

1/15 sec @ f/16; ISO 800; -1/3 EV; Shade WB; -1 FEC

Julie Kenward
09-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Lovely, Ed. Lots of contrast and pop to it. Great BG and lovely DOF. This is a real winner!

Jason Kinsey
09-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Those thistles may have a nasty personality, but they sure are nice to look at!!!! I too really like the background, Ed, beautiful shot!!!!

Mike Moats
09-12-2008, 05:17 AM
Hey Ed, very nice image, with great details and contrast. I like how the stem angles in from the corner.

Aristotle Georgiou
09-12-2008, 07:19 AM
Nice one ED, excellent detail, nice composition and over pleasing image.

Ed Vatza
09-12-2008, 07:44 AM
Julie, Jason, Mike and Aristotle,

Thank you all for the critiques. I was very happy with this image straight out of the camera. I think the combination of natural light and fill flash really made it pop! Some of my recent images (Foursome and Flat-top Aster) were made with natural light only (either on purpose or because my flash batteries died and I forgot the replacements at home) and I think both could have benefited from some fill.