PDA

View Full Version : pectoral pose

Keith Carver
09-10-2008, 12:37 PM
juvie pectoral sandpiper, Weskeag salt marsh, South Thomaston, Maine. These southbound juveniles arrive in early September, stick around for two or three weeks.

1DM3, 500m 1.4X, ISO800, f/5.6, 1/1600. Added a little canvas to right.

Comments appreciated.

Judy Lynn Malloch
09-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Gorgeous image with lovely composition and excellent detail. The only thing I would like to see is a tad more canvas at the bottom. Like this alot and many thanks for sharing Keith.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
09-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Hi Keith,
Beautiful feather detail and perch. I also love the minimal look of this. Do find the side lighting a bit distracting as it throws the bird's face in to shadow.
Regards,
Nicki

Doug Brown
09-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Hi Keith. I like the pose here! I would lighten the bird a bit and probably do a little more sharpening also. Thanks for posting!

Alfred Forns
09-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Agree with Nicki on the light. Full front lighting would have enhanced the feather look As presented would brighten the image with curves adjustment. I like the pose and setting !!

Daniel Cadieux
09-10-2008, 08:55 PM
This is a situation where flash would have helped alot with the shadows as you didn't have the best light angle. Agree with Judy Lynn for more room at bottom. Overall quite nice!

Linda Robbins
09-11-2008, 07:14 AM
I really like the clean look to the image and the beautiful subject, but the light angle is a detriment. Fill flash would have been good here. You could try lightening the bird only and sharpening the bird a little more. Agree that a little more room on the bottom woulf have been good because the perch is nice.

Keith Carver
09-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Can't add more canvas to the bottom, but did work on the bird per suggestions. Lightened and sharpened the bird (USM 125 / 2.0 / 0) three times. Not much I can do about the lighting angle, but I hope this looks better. Seems to be better to me. Can't tell you how much I value these critiques - they really help!

Manos Papadomanolakis
09-14-2008, 11:44 AM
I Iike the soft/warm light and composition!