PDA

View Full Version : What's your workflow?

Gary Irwin
09-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Hi Folks! As a relative noob wildlife/birder and new to the PBN forum (Hello!), I'm researching workflows. This seems to be one area where there's no "typical" process, so to a noob like me it's pretty daunting! As a Nikon shooter (D300) I'm currently using ExifPro to review/cull images and Capture NX 1 to process for web publishing. I've got the trial version of Capture NX2, but am undecided as to whether to pay for that upgrade or just use VIEW NX to convert the images to TIFF and put the money towards PS or some such.

I'm also looking to upgrade my PC and at this point anything is possible including desktop/laptop/windows/mac.

So, I'd really appreciate if you folks would mind briefly listing your major workflow steps. For example mine would be:

1. Direct transfer NEF's to PC.
2. Review and cull NEF's using ExifPro.
3. Process/edit NEF's to JPG's for web publishing using Capture NX 1.

I hope this isn't too broad a question, so don't be afraid to dumb the answer down to my level!!
Any tips/suggestions much appreciated!!!

Gary
in Ontario

Robert Amoruso
09-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Gary,

I made a similar response at this thread http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20006.

But I would add to your response that I am not happy with either Breeze Browser Pro or Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) in converting Nikon RAWs but I love Nikon Capture for conversion. I have not updated to Capture 2 yet.

I think the rest of my response to the other thread will cover your questions. If you need additional help just respond back here.

I am sure the more diehard Nikonians will chime in. I use both Canon and Nikon.

Gary Irwin
09-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Thank you Robert, I appreciate your comment.

Have you ever considered using Capture NX for editing NEF's or are you just comfortable working with CS3?

Gary

Robert Amoruso
09-11-2008, 07:38 AM
Gary,

I just use Capture NX for the conversion. Looks like a capable software but I try to keep my workflow simple and adding too many software packages to it to learn requires more time then I have.

Dan Brown
09-11-2008, 08:11 AM
Hi Gary. I shoot Nikon also. I shoot both NEF and basic JPEG's similtaniously, I like having the jpeg for quick opening, initial viewing and for use with photomerging programs. I delete most of the jpegs eventually.
I download using an E-film card reader through Adobe Bridge or Windows Explorer. I convert with ACR, view with Adobe Bridge, and edit with PSCS3. As for editing workflow, I basically follow Art Morris's workflow published in his "DIGITAL BASICS" CD, with customization depending on what the image needs IMO. I have heard alot of good things about "Lightroom" but I don't own it and have not played with it myself, maybe someone will chime in on it here?

Nancy A Elwood
09-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Hi. I use DownLoader Pro to download and add general information. I then use Photo Mechanic to cull. The folder then gets imported to Expression Media 2, a great DAM program, IMHO. From EM2 I can go into NX2 or CS3 directly. I do 95% of my NEF conversions in NX2. I just find it easy and fast and gives me wonderful results. I crop and print from CS3. I save the original nef, a tiff and then a jpeg of each image I pp. Of course not all of my images are pp. I pick the best ones out of the lot.

Gary Irwin
09-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Gary,

I just use Capture NX for the conversion. Looks like a capable software but I try to keep my workflow simple and adding too many software packages to it to learn requires more time then I have.

Thanks Robert -- makes sense to me!

Gary

Gary Irwin
09-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Dan, thanks for the response. I'll look into Morris's Digital Basics CD -- sounds interesting.

Gary Irwin
09-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Hi. I use DownLoader Pro to download and add general information. I then use Photo Mechanic to cull. The folder then gets imported to Expression Media 2, a great DAM program, IMHO. From EM2 I can go into NX2 or CS3 directly. I do 95% of my NEF conversions in NX2. I just find it easy and fast and gives me wonderful results. I crop and print from CS3. I save the original nef, a tiff and then a jpeg of each image I pp. Of course not all of my images are pp. I pick the best ones out of the lot.

Hi Nancy -- I take it then that you use NX2 for the majority of your editing? If so, I'm curious to know why would you use CS3 only to crop and print? Great program to be sure, but that seems like quite an investment for such limited use.

Tx.
Gary

Nancy A Elwood
09-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Well, I have been using NX way before I learned anything about ACR and just feel more comfortable with it and love the results. I had Elements and got the upgrade to CS3 as a gift. But, I wanted to move to CS3 for the fact of the D300, and working with 16-bit files. Elements is very limiting that way. Also, I have some CS3 plugins that I use quite a bit, ie, Viveza, Nik difine 2.0 and Nik sharpner for output, printing) sharpening.

Gary Irwin
09-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks Nancy!

Gary

Maxis Gamez
09-18-2008, 04:29 PM
I use a really cool and FAST software called Fastone (http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm). You can do many things with this FREE software. I pick my "keepers" and send them to my externals HD.

A really cool and fast way to view your RAW files.