PDA

View Full Version : Hooded Merganser doing wingflap

joel quenneville
01-13-2008, 08:05 PM
This image was created towards the end of the afternoon after watching this fellow in the distance for about an hour. I was on my stomach in the snow to get a low angle some nearby mallards. I found that if I kept still, they would ignore me while I photographed them. Finally, my patiance paid off and the merganser came closer. Just as I was focusing on him, he rose and flapped his wings.

1/500s
f/7.1
ISO 800
+1 EV compensation
Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 with 2x converter @600mm
Nikon D70s

Jim Poor
01-13-2008, 08:11 PM
It is tough to get close these critters. Great patience to wait for him.

I find the white breast to be blown out and the light swath in the BG to make the thing washed it out. A fuller wing and a turn toward you would be great, but you can't control those things.

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Hi Joel it is great timing to catch him flapping his wings but my wish would be for a larger image as this is quite small and difficult to really see him well. There are very elusive so you did well to catch this one. Thanks for sharing.

Tony Whitehead
01-13-2008, 09:45 PM
Great timing on a challenging bird. Background and foreground colours complement the bird colours nicely. Looks a bit soft to me - from the reflections it looks as thought the plane of focus may be just in front of the bird

Kirsten Frost
01-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Nice image of a very odd looking bird, well timed to capture the wing flap. Bird does look a little small in frame, a little closer and it would really enhance the impact. The +1 exposure comp probably caused the slightly blown whites here.