PDA

View Full Version : Storm

Piotr Shpakowski
09-10-2008, 01:25 AM
Hello ,this is one of my very first pictures with digital camera.The central composition maybe is problem but I love the situation here.The horse calling to the stud.EOS 300D with EF 28-70 4-5,6.

Fabs Forns
09-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Piotr, I know it would be stronger if you had moved the camera to the right a bit, but it still stands strong and powerful. Some may object ot the blown sky. The clouds are a terrific backdrop. Nicely done.

Bob Malbon
09-10-2008, 07:09 PM
I would pull in the left till the rain shower was gone - I feel it distracts with the horse looking right. Bob

Robert Amoruso
09-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Piotr,

As noted moving right could have improved the composition but you could try a new crop. Here I posted a square crop. I feel it balances the horse with the rainshower, retains the ominious look of the clouds and heightens the mystery of what the horse is looking at. Your offer cropping option is crop off the left and have the horse looking into the scene at right.

Strong attributes in this image are the great silhouette of the horse and the clouds. You had a scene that was higher in dynamic range then the camera. Not mush to do and I don't find the blow out portion too distracting plus my crop helps to remove some of it. If you are so inclined to a new purchase, a graduated neutral density filter could have been used with the ND portion on the bottom of the image. This would have lowered the exposure on the sky and since the ground and horse are in silhouette, no problem lowering their exposure.

Another option is set the camera to bracket exposures and fire off 3 quick ones. One to get the clouds right and then two to decrease exposure to get the bright sky right.

In any event, this is a very powerful image. Nice work.

Roman Kurywczak
09-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Hi Piotr,
while some may object to the blown out sky........and some may question the central placement..........i really like this image and comp. I did tone down the highlights some and brightness...........with a boost in the contrast...........this may not be to your liking......but it did bring out even more detail in the magnificent clouds. Let me know your opinion on this.
Either way........the drama of the sky and your choice of placement is fine with me.........I do like the contrast of the bright and dark also. You may want to explore a B&W conversion on this aso.

Roman Kurywczak
09-10-2008, 07:38 PM
This is funny........while typing and correcting..........2 other replies!

Piotr Shpakowski
09-12-2008, 02:41 AM
The shoting situation is very specific here.I use one point of view ,because from my position is possibly to put horse on horizont level only from one hole on the ground.One meter left or right and I cut half of horse legs.Finally I put the horse under clouds arc.Roman I like your sample.Yes more contrast make picture very dramatic.Thanks for comments.