PDA

View Full Version : Walking Tree

Joanna Trescott
09-09-2008, 10:31 PM
I took this shot several years ago on a very cold morning at Bryce Canyon. There was quite a wind blowing and I was freezing. Canon 10D, 1/60 @ F5.6, ISO 400, 41mm focal length.

Douglas Bolt
09-10-2008, 11:38 AM
I like this image a lot. It is nice in many ways - composition, light, simple yet powerful. As I enjoyed the image, it seemed to me that it was made up of several individually powerful images. Here's a 3x2 crop. And I'll upload a square crop shortly.

Douglas Bolt
09-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Here's a square take on the scene. I gotta go, but I'm sure a good image can be made from the top of the tree as well. Thanks for sharing.

Fabs Forns
09-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Very effective as presented, and yes, you could get a few pictures out of this one. Lovely colors, nicely composed. A winner for sure.

Robert Amoruso
09-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Joanna,

I was looking at this one since this morning and thinking about it and I feel that the image is unbalanced. The top of the tree is heavy in comparison to the root section. Doug was onto something recropping into other alternatives. I would also have like to see the small bump on the horizon eliminated. In the field, moving right would have done it and you can also remove it in PS if you are so inclined.

On the original TIFF you might try some Saturation boost. Also added black to various channels in a Selective Color layer would enhance the sky colors as would added to same color (i.e., added blue to blue channel, yellow to yellow). You can also come up with some pretty wild looking colors messing around with Selective Color.

Be careful of posterization/banding if you are boosting the BG. With the JPG did not take much for it to show up.

Roman Kurywczak
09-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Hi Joanna,
I like the crop versions.......but I do like your original version with a few tweaks..........I boosted the saturation and add pallette to the bottom while removing proportionally on the right. This seemed to ground the tree a bit more. These suggestions are to give you a few possibilities to explore............but I find your simple original comp very effective and pleasing. the PP corrections are just tweaks to enhance to taste. I also did some Noise Ninja on it......to reduce posterazation.

Joanna Trescott
09-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks everyone. Robert, I agree it needs some color boost. I have never used the selective color layer and look forward to experimenting with it. I, however, like the "unbalanced" feel of the tree. After all it is growing on exposed roots and I wanted to convey that feeling. Roman, your idea about adding to the bottom works to ground it a little more. Thanks for all your wonderful ideas!