PDA

View Full Version : tripod w/ 3 vs 4 leg sections

Josh O'Donnell
01-13-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm in need of a new tripod so I'm trying to decide what I want to get. I've narrowed it down to the Gitzo GT3530LSV and GT3540LS but I'm very willing to entertain other possibilities. Is there any noticeable difference in stability between a 4 section and 3 section tripod? I'm leaning towards the 3540LS simply because it is shorter when fully collapsed, however my concern is that it will be slower to set up/take down if I'm in a hurry.

Right now I don't have any big glass but I hope to purchase a 500mm or 600mm within the next year, so I want to make sure my purchase will be sufficient for a big lens. Any suggestions/comments?

Alfred Forns
01-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Josh with the old Gitzo model using a four section was not a good thing

The new model is much better Personally I use and recommend the three section but the four works fine Robert Amoruso uses one and I could see no problems at all Very stable and does pack shorter

Can't go wrong with either one

Maxis Gamez
01-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Hey Josh,

Go with Feisol carbon tripods, they are very affordable. I have a friend that has one with the Canon 600IS and no problems. The tripod is like a rock dude!

Josh O'Donnell
01-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Maxis... I think I remember your friend that went to Vierra with us last spring (Mike maybe?) was using a Feisol tripod. Looks like a decent rig for a good price.

Maxis Gamez
01-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Maxis... I think I remember your friend that went to Vierra with us last spring (Mike maybe?) was using a Feisol tripod. Looks like a decent rig for a good price.

You are correct Josh. He was using a 500 at Viera but he is now using the 600 with it. I had a chance and use the tripod with the 600 in Kissimmee last year and I tell you it was solid!!