PDA

View Full Version : Red-shouldered Hawk

Allen Russell
01-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi again, thanks for all the comments on the Barred Owl!

1/200 sec @ f /5.6
0 exposure compensation
Fill flash
ISO 400
400 mm on the Canon 100-400 IS USM
Canon EOS Digital Rebel

no crop - this hawk was quite comfortable on his perch in the swamp at Magnolia Gardens. I never seemed to bother him at all.

I quick masked to exclude a twig in the upper right corner and selective sharpen the bird leaving the background as it was with no sharpening.

The watermark is an automated thing from Lightroom. On a production image I would not have it where it is...so try to ignore :)

Regards to all.

Allen

Nonda Surratt
01-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Wow that close?! Neat. I like the over the shoulder look, great bird. Might just be me but the feather detail just seems a bit softer than I would expect?

Judd Patterson
01-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Hey Allen, glad you got so close! As Nonda mentions, the hawk looks a bit soft, both from limited DOF (the back) and a bit of camera movement (the head). Did you use a tripod for this image? That certainly would have been helpful with this slower shutter speeds, but your lens is also capable of crisper handheld shots if you practice your technique. Be sure that you were supporting the lens with your hand cupped underneath and holding your breath right before you gently press the shutter. I'm also curious if you experimented with other compositions and angles? Any images of the entire bird or from the front of the bird?

Allen Russell
01-13-2008, 09:12 PM
I was handholding...left the tripod in the truck :( I don't do that anymore. This was 2004, I had just started getting serious about photography.

I have about 50 or so shots that I kept from this encounter including several different angles as I approached him shooting as I went. I have full back, full front, and a few of these portrait types. I chose this first as the background seemed so nice.

I have a front shot up here (http://earussell.smugmug.com/gallery/4153976#242484977). I will eventually get more of the series processed.

Thanks for the feedback, it is all well received.

Allen