01-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Nikon D200, 70-200 2.8 + tc 1.7
f/8 1/160 sec
ISO 400
ev + 1/3

Ed Vatza
01-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Hi Caroline,

First off, welcome. I see this is your first post (of many I hope).

I really like the perch. Personally, I like to see the environment captured in the image and this is a good one with the snow on the cones and all. But it does look a bit like you focused on the branch and at the expense of the Chickadee.

I find Chickadees tough because the eye easily gets lost in the black cap as it appears to have done here. A little catchlight would have helps. Otherwise te exposure looks good to me. One other point is that the placement of the bird makes it look like he is looking out of the frame instead of into it. That could be "fixed" by moving the bird to left while cropping. But then you lose the symetry of the perch.

Jim Poor
01-13-2008, 07:18 PM
I like it. A little work on the eye to bring it out a bit might be good.

I'm wavering on the composition. I really like the branch, but wish the bird had been nice enough to face the other way for you :D A squarish crop might work, but it would put the bird dead center.

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Very attractive composition with the branch and cones covered with snow and the pose of the chickadee. Generally it is good to have more space in the image for the bird to fly out of and I am wondering if you had moved further to the right if this could have worked. . . This would give you more space on the right. Overall a very pretty capture.

Daniel Cadieux
01-13-2008, 08:52 PM
This photo breaks the "rules" of composition in a very positive way. I like it as is - the way the cones are placed in the image make it well balanced and works very well. If anything I'd like a bit more room below. :-)

Chris van Rooyen
01-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Lovely light quality here, complements the delicate subject matter. I like the composition and sharpness, personally I find the oof front cone slightly distracting (very slight nit).

John Cooper
01-14-2008, 01:37 AM
The attractive branches and cones give this image a lovely pictorial quality Caroline. I love the placement of the chickadee. Birds with a black eye and head always seem to cry out for a catchlight in the eye. This is easy to achieve if your ethics allow it!! Great effort.

Caroline Darmo
01-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated.