PDA

View Full Version : Loggerhead Shrike

Anita Rakestraw
01-13-2008, 05:14 PM
This loggerhead took to stopping occasionally on the shepherd's hook on the corner of our deck last summer. (Yeah, I know, this summer I'll try branches!) :(

Canon Rebel XT
100-400 mm IS, 2x extender
Tripod
Early evening
Unfortunately I think I've lost the EXIF data; this is just what I recall

Whited out sky was replaced in this, and it was lightened with curves

This summer too, I will start leaving a little more room around the birds when I photograph them. :o

Nonda Surratt
01-13-2008, 05:37 PM
I know what you mean about setting up some perches I have my share of photos like this. I've never even seen one of these birds, wonderful pose and eye contact, nice feather detail too! The eye catch light looks a bit odd?

George DeCamp
01-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Hi Anita!

A beautiful bird..you replaced the sky eh? You did a good job with that. Bird is sharp and good details.
The nits I have would be too large in frame as you also mentioned and I am not crazy about the angle here. Was the catch light added?

Keep them coming, this is a nice image!!

Anita Rakestraw
01-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Thank you for your time in stopping to look and comment, Nonda and George. Nonda, I had to look in the birdbook to identify this bird myself, altho I don't think they're that uncommon. No, the catchlight was not added, don't know why it looks that way....reflection off the white house in addition to distant landscape? George, I guess I need to make the perches a little lower this summer for better photography angle, huh?

George DeCamp
01-13-2008, 06:27 PM
George, I guess I need to make the perches a little lower this summer for better photography angle, huh?

Just make sure the cat can't reach! :D

Kenn Christensen
01-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Hi Anita...
really nice job of sky replacement.. and actually pretty sharp considering a 2x extender.. what was the distance? I have some shrikes around here right now... all out in the wild.. though often on powerlines and fence posts... so my shots of them look similar to this.. though not as close...
kenn