PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue on Ice

Nonda Surratt
01-13-2008, 05:11 PM
I think I'm emotionally attached to this photo:o It was the first time a GBH flew towards me instead of away and when something like that happens I either go into brain or shutter finger freeze, sometimes both at the same time. Late afternoon, local wetlands, on one of our wonderful gray, gloomy days.
30D, ISo 320, 1/3200, 400f5.6L@f5.6.

George DeCamp
01-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Hi Nonda!

I can see why you are attached to this one, I would be also. This is a unique image to me, snow and a Great Blue flying above it. What's not to like here, good composition, good sharpness, excellent subject and wing position a big plus. Excellent job!

Nonda Surratt
01-13-2008, 06:39 PM
George,

Thank you, I could probably cry right now literally. I have seen so many stunning images from you and so many others here and then at my own that seem so lacking, I'm starting to think there might be hope yet. To be critiqued by the folks here is an honor and it can only get better. Am I being sappy? Yep I do that sometimes.

George DeCamp
01-13-2008, 06:48 PM
George,
Thank you, I could probably cry right now literally. .

No don't do that it will ruin our reputation! :D

Keep up the good work, they all don't come out so good (nor do ours) but when they do it sure gives you a reason to get out more and more. You get hooked.

Judd Patterson
01-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Well captured Nonda! I can relate to the feeling of joy after having a Great Blue Heron do something other than fly away! :) It's quite refreshing to see a heron amidst the snow and ice. It shows a great example of how some stick it out through tough winters, unlike almost all the other heron/egret species which head south. Your sharpness is great, along with such a nice wing pose. Well done.

Nonda Surratt
01-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks much Judd, we do have some GB's that are here year around, tough birds.

Wouldn't think of it George:p As to the more and more part I'm already pretty obsessive and its just so darn much fun!

Axel Hildebrandt
01-13-2008, 08:55 PM
I really like the mood, wing position, setting and details. I might crop a bit off the top, but not much.

Terry Eddington
01-14-2008, 08:23 PM
I moved from Cincinnati almost a year ago and honestly don't miss the ice and snow but this is a very nice capture. Is this from Oxbow, Muscatek or another of the local wetlands?

Nonda Surratt
01-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Its a little local wetlands that is about 2 blocks from my house. Not much now but the usual mallards and Cg's it was a pretty nice little migrant trap last spring, early summer. I'm 25 mile east of Columbus.

Philippe Collard
01-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Hello Nonda,

You did very well. Lovely golden light on that Heron and the picture is pretty special, I have never seen one in the snow. Here up north Herons better leave south before it snows :D Position in the frame is good with some room in front of him and action is well captured. Well done! One thing I am wandering though, at this speed and with the 400mm L you should be able to get a sharper image. Is this significantly cropped by any chance?

Cheers,

Philippe.