PDA

View Full Version : Long-tailed Widowbird - Johannesburg, South Africa

Albert Froneman
01-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Captured this image of a male bird performing his display flight this morning!

Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Shutter speed: 1/4000 sec
Aperture: 7.1
Exposure mode: Av
ISO: 800
Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS USM

All C&C welcome ;)

Tony Whitehead
01-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Great image Albert - these things look like they should be easy but are far from it - just like it looks as though you should be able to run after them and catch them! Perfect pose with tail fully spread and the highlights on the flight feather shafts all point toward the bright red wing patch. Eye catchlight and his head seem slightly turned toward you - what more could you ask for? Maybe a yellow/brown highveldt grass back ground??

Arthur Morris
01-13-2008, 04:53 PM
While I wish that you had been able to create the image from a higher spot, this is pretty a pretty darned amazing image. It looks like one of our Red-winged Blackbirds on steroids (sorry Mr. Clemens...) The near-wing and tail positions are perfect, the head a bit hidden. Great sharpness and perfect exposure. Way to go.

later and love, artie

Axel Hildebrandt
01-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Funny, Artie mentioned blackbirds. That was my first thought, too. But I thought those long tail feathers can't possibly belong to that little bird. :) Thanks for sharing.

Rick A. Brown
01-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Have to agree 100% with Artie on this one. Will have to say also that the freak cool species helps sell this photo too.

Maxis Gamez
01-13-2008, 07:28 PM
What a cool looking bird. You also did well with capturing the image at the right time!

Gayle Clement
01-13-2008, 09:36 PM
It's a delight to see an image of this unusual bird. Perfect exposure.

Fabs Forns
01-13-2008, 09:38 PM
I also thought of the RWBB!!!

Amazing pose and bird, thanks for sharing it :)

Alfred Forns
01-13-2008, 09:41 PM
HI Albert That is one amazing bird !!!! Our Redwing on steroids for certain !!!!! Big Congrats !!!

Albert Froneman
01-14-2008, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the comments folks - and I thought that you would appreciate the 'similarities' :D!! Artie - I did get them from a higher angle - will post one of those next ;) :)

John Cooper
01-14-2008, 01:27 AM
What a superb image you have captured there Albert - it surprises me that it can get off the ground with that huge tail!!
Your choice of shutter speed has ensured a lovely sharp image. Just nit picking buta little extra space in front of bird would work well for me. But great effort!

Lana Hays
01-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Albert
This is an impressive bird....and impressive image. I, too first thought of a Red-winged Blackbird. Nits have been mentioned but I certainly don't dwell on them for long.

Linda Robbins
01-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Hi Albert -

On one of my trips to Africa, we were making a long drive between lodges, when I saw these birds displaying along a fenceline. I couldn't believe how beautiful they were. The other photographers in my van were not interested much in birds and wanted to get to the next lodge without stopping, so my request that we stay awhile was outvoted. I've always regretted missing that opportunity to watch and photograph the splendid displays. So, when I saw your thumbnail I excitedly opened it, and you have captured the image I dreamed of. It is perfect. Congratulations on this stunning image.

Manos Papadomanolakis
03-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Nice looking bird with great wing position!