PDA

View Full Version : Meet Shadow

Jim Poor
01-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Shadow is not a member of our family, but hopefully he will be a member of someone's family soon. He is a homeless dog, currently being cared for by my local SPCA.

Since we have four, and can't adopt a fifth at the moment, I've decided I can at least try to help some more a little. I figure a decent portrait is better than one with people feet, hands and other junk in it to distract. The SPCA has been using my photos on their website for a couple months now.

This is from a session yesterday at one of the adoption event open houses. The events are out doors and many of the dogs have no training at all, so it provides quite a challenge.

Someday, I'd like to do pet portraits, so it is good practice.

Natural light, no flash.
D300 and 17-55
1/320 @ f8 -1/3 comp

Alfred Forns
01-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Shadow is a natural !!!! Seems to be enjoying the posing !!!! Just beautiful Your good at pets JIm !!!!!

Jim Poor
01-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Thanks Al,
Eventually, I'd like to get to where pet photography supports nature photography. I'm not sure I can make enough to live (like I do now) on nature photography alone. I'm working on it though :D

George DeCamp
01-13-2008, 07:47 PM
This is a really sweet image and that doggie looks like he loves it. A really nice thing for you to do also Jim, kudos to you for spending your time helping like that!!!

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Really like this image alot Jim.. The pose and look on shadows face as well as the perky ears reaally makes this image for me. Sure hope he finds a good home soon and how great that you have given him a home until then.

Jim Poor
01-13-2008, 07:49 PM
I think he was having a good time. It took over 6 months for the SPCA to capture this guy, so one would think he doesn't like people. Quite the opposite. He's the biggest love bug you could imagine.

Fabs Forns
01-13-2008, 10:22 PM
You did great and captured your friend's soul through his eyes.

Hopefully someone near you will see the beauty and give him the home he deserves.

Thanks for helping them :)

Van Hilliard
01-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Thank you Jim not only for an outstanding and appealing portrait but also for the work you are doing on behalf of these wonderful creatures. Both you are Shadow seem to be naturals. This photo really captures something special.

Rocky Sharwell
01-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the image--and what you are doing for the animals. My 3 kitties would hate me and do me great harm if I brought shadow home even though this photo makes me want him

I do like the red bandana around the neck a lot...It is a nice touch.

Jim Poor
01-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Here is a link to some more shots from the SPCA and A Forever Home, two organizations I have been working with.

Some of the images are certainly better than others, but that's what practice is for :D

They are under the "Homeless Dogs" gallery. The Higher Res gallery is the SPCA dogs at better quality than the SPCA wanted for their site (they need 250 max pixels and 10KB)

http://www.pbase.com/jimpoor/pets

Steve Metildi
01-16-2008, 03:10 AM
One good looking dog and it's great work that you're doing.

Steve

Jim Poor
01-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Well it looks like Shadow will be featured in the next SPCA news letter. They've asked for more pics of him. They originally asked for full size, but I don't think they actually know what they are asking. So I wrote back and said it would be better for them to let me do the processing and sizing etc.

The newsletter is put together by great folks with no real BG in it so I prefer to keep control of the processing.

Now I just need to read up on making good B&W copies :O