PDA

View Full Version : Morels and Moon

John Cooper
01-13-2008, 03:39 AM
Not sure if this image qualifies as a nature shot as the moon was introduced in-camera (double exposure).
The morels were photographed near my home town in Australia with an exposure that would give a black background. When a full moon came around the film was placed back in the camera and double exposures made - couldn't remember which way I had the camera originally orientated for the fungi so ended up with some moons down in the moss on some shots, but took more with the camera body orientated the other way up:)
Canon EOS 3, Canon 100mm macro lens, 1/200 sec F16, Fuji velvia 50. Moon taken with Canon 100-400 mm lens at 400mm.

Chris Davidson
01-13-2008, 04:15 AM
Very creative image, John!
I like composition you choose, a real nice image!

Jim Caldwell
01-13-2008, 09:47 AM
This probably belongs in 'Out of the box' - but I like it! The double exposure isn't obvious and those are very unusual fungi. Nice and sharp and I always loved the colors from velvia. Do many here remember film?

Robert O'Toole
01-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Hi john,

I like it.

As cool as it looks now, since its a composite, I would increase the size of the moon dramatically to give it even more effect. Then as another point I would move it over and down a little to use the 3rds rule.

Oh yeah and a really fine point I like a neutral moon over a warm moon but thats strictly personal taste.

Thanks for posting.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
01-13-2008, 03:43 PM
This probably belongs in 'Out of the box' - but I like it! The double exposure isn't obvious and those are very unusual fungi. Nice and sharp and I always loved the colors from velvia. Do many here remember film?

Jim you are right, yes it does belong in OOTB, and its now relocated to a new home.

Robert

Nonda Surratt
01-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Super image!

Fabs Forns
01-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Very good idea, it looks like a surreal landscape :)

Steve Bein
01-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Actually, they are not that rare. You will find them growing in California in burn areas through snow, or in spring. They are common, sort of, in other areas. And they are delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! About 4000 feet in the mountains near Riverside, CA, up the road to Tahoe, etc. Along with Chantarelles, they are my favotire mushrooms.
My favorite is Morel Rumaki, cut open, wash, fill with water chestnuts and ground chicken livers, lightly flour and sautee in a pan with butter. Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It goes along well with a salad of miners lettuce, hearts of palm and marinated arthichoke hearts.
Other than that, it is a neat concept, and I agree with working on composition with the moon position, but the centered morels a the bottom work fine for me, now back to the frying pan.

Jasper Doest
01-14-2008, 07:24 AM
Sorry, this doesn't work for me...mainly because it is impossible to capture it this way. Both images look really nice, but combining images only works really well when the two subjects are photographed at the same focallength.