PDA

View Full Version : Cades Cove

Jared Lloyd
09-09-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm heading up to Cades Cove in the Smoky Mountains the last week of September and first week of October. Obviously this isnt the "peak" leaf time, but I'm more intersted in not having to contend with 50,000 vehicles on the loop road like I did last year. Something about having 400lbs ladies with bright yellow sweatshirts walk right past me and in front of my lens to try and photograph the deer with thier cell phones does not appeal to me. God forbid you set up a tripod, within 5 minutes you have 15 point and shoot cameras thrusted over your shoulder as folks try to "get the same pic."

I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to key places for whitetail deer. I have been to the Cove many times, but only once to seriously photograph. Obviously there will be the token deer standing around intoxicated by all the carbon monoxide but are there any spots that people might recomend spending a good deal of time at.

Also, does anyone know much about Cataloochee valley? The majority of the elk were reintroduced in this part due to its relative inaccessibility but I have never ventured into this part of the park. I hear though that it ranks just under Cades Cove for being a wildlife hotspot. Any help is much apriciated.
thanks,
Jared Lloyd
www.JaredLloydphoto.com

Robert Amoruso
09-09-2008, 01:44 PM
No recommendations as I have been there once, but god do I know what you are talking about.

Eric Silvi
09-09-2008, 05:20 PM
I've been to Cades Cove several times. I have always found the deer to be just about anywhere.
I've checked with locals (photographers) that I know about the Cataloochee Valley. They have always persuaded me to not go to the Valley because it's such a long drive from the other areas of the park. I'm guessing that with what you said in your post, that might make it nicer for you. However, I was also told that most of the elk in the valley are radio-collared. I recently found out that the elk are migrating to other parts of the park. I was told that there is a field north of the visitors center/farm on the Cherokee side of the Smokies. North of the visitors center is Mingus Mill, and north of the mill is a field that is on both sides of the road. Early in the morning and late in the evening elk can be found in the field. The photo I saw of the elk did not have a radio collar around his neck.
I hope this helps.