09-09-2008, 06:43 AM
Canon Eos 1 D Mark II N
Canon 300 f.2,8 + extender 1x4
iso 200
South Africa Giant's Castle N.P

Thanks for your advice and notice for make better the photo

Daniel Cadieux
09-09-2008, 11:16 AM
You didn't include all the techs, but with ISO 200 your shutter speed was surely not as high as it could have been for such action photography. Too bad the top bird is clipped...must have been a thrill to observe this!

Loukie Viljoen
09-09-2008, 12:16 PM
The top bird is a Jackal buzzard the one behind the eagle a White neck Raven, these shots work well with a shutter speed in the region of 1/2500 sec, aperture priority, round f 6.3 ISO at least 400 - 640. with the f2.8 lens you have plenty light, I know we don't all have a 500mm lens it works well, the 300 + EX1.4 = 450mm not quite enough, just keep the central sensor on the eagle, if it moves off you focus on the background then you have no shot. Check my posts on BPN there are a few GC shots.regards.Loukie

Judy Lynn Malloch
09-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Everything has been covered but great action and how wonderful it must have been for you to expserience it. Many thanks for sharing.

Ramon M. Casares
09-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Agree with the above comments, I like the action very much but I would've tryed a vertical crop at least for web presentation. Congratulations!

Giovanni Frescura
09-10-2008, 01:42 AM
Hi I give you more detail
f.5,6
1/2000
Do you think could be a good idea try to make it better or is better not loose time because the photo isn't excellent.
No problem I would like the true
Thanks again

Loukie Viljoen
09-10-2008, 06:34 AM
Giova this is the best I can make of it, maybe there are other ideas. regards.

Juan Aragonés
10-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Hi Giovani, I aplogize for the delay in responding to your questions. The images of the verreaux´s eagle is terrific in terms of action but has serious flaws that are not easy to fix. The action is really good but too bad you cropped part of the raven flying over the eagle and that is difficult to fix and it is a very important key in the action. In fact, the only way to do is to “reconstruct” the wing using photoshop but that is a very personal decision. In BPN there are very talented photographers that apply that kind of techniques like Robert O´Toole, Fabiola Forns and Arthur Morris using “Quick Masks”. I think, with all the respect, that the repost that Loukie suggested does not work because the eagle position looks very unnatural. To crop out the raven over the eagle is not a solution because the eagle is addressing its attention (and the viewer’s attention) to that part of the frame. Another problem with the image is that seems to be not very sharp but I am not sure and maybe is due to downsize of the image for web presentation. The lack of sharpness has no solution but if the original file is sharp maybe you could consider the possibility of using quick mask to save the image. Considering that you used a 300 2,8 +1,4XTC it is probable that the lack of sharpness is due to downsizing and that the original file is good. I would go for a vertical crop. I know that t is very frustrating to have an image like this one with the problems above mentioned but all of us have a lot of them for each one that is good, that is aprt of th eplay and that is the reason why we enjoy a lot when get a very good image ;) Hope this helps and would love to hear what do you think.
Juan