PDA

View Full Version : Jackdaw

Rich Steel
09-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Hi

I was down in London last week and found myself with a couple of hours to spare and so popped into Bushy Park which is one of the huge Royal Parks in the south-east of the city. This is always a good place for some photo oppotunities with big herds of red and fallow deer on the extensive grasslands and some interesting wild birds descended from escapees including Parakeets and Egyptian Geese that we very seldom see up in the north where I live. While wandering around some Jackdaws caught my eye, a bird often overlooked, but for which I have always been fond of for some reason. The opportunity was there for some flight photos which I haven't tried on these birds before.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/squidfish_2006/jackdaw15.jpg

Taken with 1Dmk3 and 500mm lens at ISO400 F5.6 1/1600s + 0.67EV.

Cheers

Rich

Jason Searle
09-09-2008, 03:27 AM
really nice action shot, i love the pose and the eyes looking directly at you, well done.

Raymond Barlow
09-09-2008, 06:48 AM
excellent, what a great pose and exposure., wow!

Judy Lynn Malloch
09-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Awesome image and you timing was excellent. Love the eyes and the great flightpose in this capture. Thanks for sharing.

Julie Kenward
09-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Love the eyes on that bird! The pose is fantastic overall and you did a wonderful job of exposing the details in the blacks.

Ramon M. Casares
09-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Love the pose, details and sharpness, not an easy subject to expose, congratulations! Very nice shot!

Anita Rakestraw
09-10-2008, 01:25 AM
I don't think I've seen a jackdaw before....cool bird. The pose is not real typical and I especially like that! Must say though that the bird looks like it ought to be starring in a scary movie!!

Rich Steel
09-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the replies. I blame Alfred Hitchcock and the Omen series of films for giving the poor covids a bad and scarey reputation. Personally I think they are great birds which show a high degree of 'intelligence'

Cheers

Rich

Anita Rakestraw
09-10-2008, 03:10 PM
You are right, Rich - I think alot of people have disliked and been afraid of birds ever since Hitchcock's "The Birds" movie! I suppose most "birders" know better, but I think the general public has no idea how very intelligent and capable of strong attachments birds are. I hate it when a particular species is generally maligned.