PDA

View Full Version : Bustit Support Group

dstreiffert
09-08-2008, 11:07 PM
http://danstreiffert.smugmug.com/photos/358946802_8ceBs-XL.jpg

Bustits having a morning discussion in our native garden. This is the most I have been able to get in one photo!

Canon 500mm f/4.0 IS + 1.4 ext., 1/400 s., f/6.3, ISO 800
Canon XTI Camera

Sivaprasad
09-09-2008, 03:51 AM
So lovely and cute. Love the unique expressions on each individual. You captured it very well.

Daniel Cadieux
09-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Such a lovely scene!! Only wish the OOF areas at bottom were not there. Stopping down a bit more and focussing in the middle of the pack may have helped you get them all in focus (right now focus seems to be on the far birds). Quiz: can anyone see which one is different and why :-)

Judy Lynn Malloch
09-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Sweet image !!!!! Love the composition and to get that many in focus was a challenge I am sure. Agree with Daniel about the OOF leaves at the bottom but a big congratulations on a wonderful capture. Thanks for sharing.

Ramon M. Casares
09-09-2008, 06:25 PM
BG is not ideal, too bussy, but the scene itself is great and very lovely! Congratulatons/!

Amy DeStefanis
09-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Ooooh they are so cute. It looks to me like you got the focus on all of them.

The eye on the right-most one is sharp and has a catchlight. There's a little motion on the tail of the left one, but that just points out the fact that he's the only one with is body turned around the opposite direction - yet his head is turned around and he's the only one squawking.

He must be saying "About face!" 2nd to the right is looking at him like "who made you boss????".

There are tons of stories to dream up about this one. I can't stop looking at it and smiling!

Thanks for sharing it!

Amy D.

Dan Brown
09-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Very very nice! This is a great image showing the difference in the sexes (quiz answer!) the 3rd bird from the left with the light (yellowish) eye is a female, the rest are males:D. I would like to see some catch lights in the eyes of the two left most birds, but this is just a great capture as presented.

dstreiffert
09-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks Dan. I read somwhere that the adult female has a white/yellow eye and the others are black.

Anita Rakestraw
09-10-2008, 01:39 AM
This is really precious!! So in this case, it's the males who don't shut up?? And the lone female wishes he would! I would have guessed the eye color difference was age-related - so I've learned something. I think this would make a cute pano, and at the same time eliminate some of the distracting elements. I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of trying it - and also added the catchlights suggested. Added a little sharpening also - if it looks oversharpend, blame my monitor! :) See what you think. Actually, a bit more space should be left at top, I think.

dstreiffert
09-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the ideas Anita. I think the sharpening helped. The catchlights seem a bit over done, but it is a good idea. I just don't think you would ever get a photo like this with catchlights in all of the eyes. The crop helps get rid of the distracting out of focus leaves, but seems a bit too tight for me. I appreciate your time on this.

Anita Rakestraw
09-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Agree with your comments, Dan. How fortunate you were to have nabbed this moment in time!!

Daniel Cadieux
09-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Yep! Adult female = pale iris in the eye!

dstreiffert
09-12-2008, 11:20 AM
http://danstreiffert.smugmug.com/photos/358946802_8ceBs-XL-1.jpg
<p>
I tried this again darkening some of the foreground leaves and increasing the sharpness.