PDA

View Full Version : Flat-top Aster

Ed Vatza
09-08-2008, 09:01 PM
OK, back to what I enjoy to do most - flower portraits. Image made over Labor Day weekend at Jacobsburg State Park (PA).

Canon 30D; Sigma 150mm Macro lens; Tripod-mounted with Novoflex focusing rail.

1/100 sec at f/5.6; ISO 800; -1/3 EV; Natural light

Bruce Murden
09-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Didn't miss a beat getting back from the throwdown to your best stuff. Great DOF, bokeh, and comp. Now if only the center of the flower on the left could be a little more visible (but it was centered behind the one petal, which works pretty well too).

Ed Vatza
09-09-2008, 05:22 AM
I just realized that I posted a different image than the one I wanted to post. The image I originally posted has the whites looking a bit gray. This is the version that I wanted to post. I brightened the white hopefully not at the expense of details. Same specs as above.

P.S. I would have used some fill flash had I not been stupid and left the extra batteries in another bag at home! :o:o:o

Julie Kenward
09-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Yeah! I saw the first image and thought, "Wow, those white are awfully dingy..." This is MUCH better. I like the composition here but would have loved to have seen a little more detail in the first flower's white petals. I do love the 3D effect of this one, though. Sweet!

Gus Cobos
09-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Agree with Julie on the techs. I too like the second repost better...good show...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Mike Moats
09-12-2008, 05:32 AM
Hey Ed, I like the comp and would have liked to seen a little more DOF to get the petals on the front flower in better focus. The second post does improve the whites.