PDA

View Full Version : Semipalmated Plover

Ed Vatza
09-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Image made yesterday morning on North Beach at Sandy Hook, NJ.

Canon 30D; Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS and Canon 2x TC; handheld

1/4000 sec @ f/7.1; ISO 800; 0 EV; Focal length 600mm

Daniel Cadieux
09-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Hey Ed, the sun's position from slightly behind the bird has left some of the face/throat/belly in shadows. Best to place yourself with the sun behind you. Cute little fella that seems to have stood still for you :-)

Linda Robbins
09-08-2008, 10:32 PM
As Daniel mentioned, the light angle was not the best in this image. Getting low and pointing your shadow at the bird will make a big difference!

Ed Vatza
09-09-2008, 05:04 AM
Thanks Dan. Thanks Linda. Appreciate the comments. Really. :)

Yes I know that it would be best to have the light coming in over my shoulder. And yes, I know the light was coming in from the right - behind the Plover. When I can get into position for the light to come in from behind me (and my shadow is pointed at the bird - as I did earlier in the morning with Sanderlings on Plum Island at Sandy Hook), I do. But when I can't, as was the case for both the Oystercatcher image I posted on Sunday and this image, I try to make the best image that I can with the light that I have. I probably should have used some fill flash.

Daniel Cadieux
09-09-2008, 11:29 AM
He, he. I had a feeling you knew that but I still had to mention it :-) You are right...flash (plenty of it) would have helped here.

Axel Hildebrandt
09-09-2008, 01:18 PM
I like the pose and eye contact. Adding to the other comments, you could have lowered the ISO and maybe crop some off the top.

Ramon M. Casares
09-09-2008, 06:07 PM
You're right about fill flash, would've made a big diference, still a nice shot! Congratulations!