PDA

View Full Version : Which Macro Flash is better

Norman Pyett
09-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Hello All, I crrently purchased the 180mm (canon of course) macro and have debated on which macro flash (canon) is better suited form macro phototgraphy. Would it be the ring light which gives a soft look or would it be the mt-24 with the two heads? (two heads are better than one)
Come on you guru's help me out here. I need more than one or two opinions...............

Maxis Gamez
09-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi Norm,

Nice to know you still around. The flash depends of what you really want to do. I would get another 580EX and use them together! Macro flashes are very limited to just macro but if you get another flash like the 580 EX, you can do a lot more AND macro!

Just my opinion!

Take care!

Ben Page
09-09-2008, 01:06 AM
I use the MT-24, although it's on the 100mm. I like the control I get from it. Also attach a couple of Stofen diffusers which help soften things up a bit.

Markus Jais
09-09-2008, 05:30 AM
I have the MT-24. Expensive stuff and the cables are annoying (Nikon has one without cables). That said, it's a great tool and I would always prefer it over the ring flash. The MT-24 can controll the 580 without a cable. So you could use a 580 to lighten up the background. Of course such a set-up is awkward to handle in the field when following moving subjects like small insects.

When I need only fill flash I normally use the 580 EX II and add a reflector if necessary.

You need an adapter ring for the 180L when using the MT-24. It's available from Canon.

Markus

Robert O'Toole
09-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Hello All, I crrently purchased the 180mm (canon of course) macro and have debated on which macro flash (canon) is better suited form macro phototgraphy. Would it be the ring light which gives a soft look or would it be the mt-24 with the two heads? (two heads are better than one)
Come on you guru's help me out here. I need more than one or two opinions...............

I tend to agree with Maxis. The full size flash you have now is the best for macro photography. Just buy or make a diffuser and experiment with manual settings and flash comp and you will have the most flexibility, best results and lowest cost.

The Ring light is for product and scientific photography, unless flat light is your thing. The MT-24 is way overpriced and not really anything special. Macro flash photography is all really about how the flash is controlled and applied. The hardware isn't really of much importance. Either the MT-24 or the ring flash on auto settings will give you black backgrounds and harsh over flashed subjects as the flash will take over as the main light. You want to avoid this either way you go.
Good luck.

Robert