PDA

View Full Version : Soaked

Jason Kinsey
09-08-2008, 04:08 PM
In the early morning dew. Managed to get out this morning to get some shots and couldn't have asked for better weather. This cheddar pinks was among my favorite.

One thing I struggle with on many flower shots is composition-often times the symmetry doesn't lend itself to "textbook" composition. I cropped this one to get it slightly off center-anyone have any input on shots like these? Comments and critiques are very much appreciated.

D200, 60mm, ISO 100, f/13, .4s, tripod

Julie Kenward
09-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Jason, my thoughts on flowers is this: If there is something of interest next to the subject (another bud or a great looking leaf) then the flower should be off center...but...if the flower IS the only thing of interest then crop it tight and show it off for all it's worth!

Remember, too, that rules are only guidelines when it comes to photography. ;)

Robert O'Toole
09-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Wow. The details and the soft light work very well. Also the image is way sharp.

I like the image as is and off center, the reason is that the flower is pointing to the right so the empty space works. I am not a fan of centering or square crops even on flowers.

Robert

Bruce Murden
09-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Great water droplets, color, and saturation, and I like this specimen a lot too, with the shredded look and the petals overlapping. I'm going to split the difference on the format. Go square! Centered in a square format, or as square as possible with the same kind of border on L & R as you have on top & bottom. I think the "plan view" of a flower can lend itself well to square.

Nice job!

Aristotle Georgiou
09-09-2008, 05:13 AM
Fantastic looking flower with great colour, excellent detail, nice light love the droplets and I would also go square.

Aristotle Georgiou
09-09-2008, 05:16 AM
Fantastic looking flower with great colour, excellent detail, nice light, love the droplets and I would also go square with the crop.

Kaushik Balakumar
09-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Lovely capture. Tack sharp with full of details. Loved those droplets of water. Indeed a beautiful looking flower.

Jason Kinsey
09-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the input everyone.

Mike Moats
09-12-2008, 05:35 AM
Hey Jason, very interesting flower with great details, and the waterdrops add a nice touch. I think the sqaure crop would work well here.