PDA

View Full Version : Oil

Michael Lloyd
09-07-2008, 09:08 PM
I work in the energy industry. A few weeks ago (about a week before the hurricane hit Louisiana) I was working on a platform about 15 miles south of Venice in the Mississippi river delta. You can see my laptop just below the satellite dish. The control system that I programmed is for auto starting and stopping an engine driven crude oil pump. The barge that is moored near the platform toward the top if the image was replaced by the pump and a pipeline.

Everything that is used on the platform comes by boat. Everyone that works on the platform arrives and leaves by boat. It's pretty amazing how large the river delta is and how busy it can be.

The top of the image is north. BTW- from what I've heard the platform survived the hurricane.

Alfred Forns
09-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the image Michael My first view of this type rig I'm sure they take a beating with a direct hit !!! Look like you guys are out of the woods with Ike !!

Michael Lloyd
09-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Alfred,

The platform is a small production platform. Gas and oil is transported to it via pipeline. The gas is separated from the oil, compressed, dehydrated, and put in a pipeline specifically for gas that has been dried and liquids removed from it. The oil is placed in tanks and the system that I put in automatically pumps it down another pipeline specifically used to transport oil to the shore.

Actually... it looks like Ike is going to be a problem by Sat or Sun. I live between Houston and San Antonio. Far enough inland that storm surge isn't an issue but tornado's, rain, etc. can be a problem. If we're lucky all we'll get is some much needed rain.

Alfred Forns
09-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Just look Michael and it seems to heading your way. Hopes it takes less of a northerly course and moves to your west !!!

Robert Amoruso
09-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Good leading lines in this image Michael. Thanks for sharing the story.