PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's Moon

Michael Lloyd
09-07-2008, 08:33 PM
At the time I shot this the sky was a deep evening blue. The moon dominated the exposure so the BG is black. If I were an HDR kind of guy I probably could have pulled off a blue sky / moon shot... I hope this is the right forum for this shot

<Edit>Tweaked the sharpening and added EXIF data

Note that the flash did not fire for this shot :D

Canon EOS 1DsMKIII
Manual exposure
Mirror Locked up
600mm F4 lens
F-Stop = 8/1 = F8
ISO Speed Ratings = 500
Shutter Speed = 1/125 second
Aperture = F8
Flash = Flash did not fire
Focal Length = 600 mm

Paul Marcellini
09-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Good stuff Michael. Looks like it could take a touch more sharpening for web. Also, a lot of members benefit from exposure details. A shot like this, especially, could help others. Well done, and welcome to the landscape forum.

Michael Lloyd
09-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks Paul,

I tweaked the sharpening a little and replaced the image. I'm not sure it's enough even now. I also added EXIF. As an aside- if you let the camera choose the settings or follow what the camera says to use the moon will likely be over exposed. For the lens that I used exposing 2-1/3 stops under from what the camera meter wanted gave me pretty decent exposure. 2-2/3 stops might have been a touch better... Even at 600mm this is a very tight crop.

Robert Amoruso
09-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks for posting the techs. What do you mean the flash did not fire - could have made all the difference. :)

Seriously I like the 1/2 - 1/2 treatment of night and day on the moon. Agree with Paul on the sharpening. The predominance of dark tones in the image causes the camera to add light to make it gray thereby overexposing the moon. You correctly exposed the moon but removing light - thanks for mentioning that for others looking at the techs.

Kaushik Balakumar
09-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Lovely image with good details of the craters.
Flash with better beamer wud've been good :D :p

TFS.

Michael Lloyd
09-09-2008, 08:51 AM
:D yeah... I was thinking I should have had a background light too... but I didn't feel like dragging the Photogenics outside :D

Roman Kurywczak
09-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Hi Michael,
Looks reasonably sharp on my monitor. i've got a 10 million candle power flashlight for my night illumination you can borrow.........just as a fill though.

Noel Carboni
09-14-2008, 01:24 AM
I like it! Nice work.

-Noel