PDA

View Full Version : A Splash Of Fall Color

Ed Cordes
01-13-2008, 02:22 PM
I have been lurking and adding a few comments here for the past week or so. This is my first image posted.

The image is from the Gorge in Watkins Glen in Upstate NY about 45 minutes from my home. Image was made in the fall of 2006. I like the feeling of the far away waterfall flowing through the gorge and the splash of color provided by the left hand wall and the fall foliage above the stream.

1DMK2 with 100-400 IS at 100. Partial center-weighted metering at ISO 100 at EV -2/3 with f 13 and 1 second exposure on tripod. Since I forgot my polarizer I used a slight highlight burn on the water to eliminate some glare. I also burned the water level slate on the left a bit. Saturation bumped about 8%.

I would appreciate your feed back. Thanks for looking.

Jason Hahn
01-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Very intimate view of the falls, I really like how they "peek" through the rocks, a very tranquil and pretty scene. The texture of the rocks and lines near the waters edge add a lot to the scene also. The cliff face and the distant falls is the image to me, I am not sure that the foreground adds a lot to the composition, and the rocks to the right bottom corner I find a little distracting. I would consider a crop right above the large swirl of white water in the foreground. With that crop, you place much more emphasis on the focal point of the image, the cliffs, color, and distant falls, while still maintaining that intimate feel of the image. You also then have the curve of the river bank acting as much more of a leading line, drawing your eye from the foreground into the scene. If you would like to me repost with my crop suggestion please let me know and I would be happy to.

Jason

Fabs Forns
01-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Hi Ed,

Big welcome to BPN!!!! :)

So nice to see you here, guess you've been keeping yourself on the Landscape part, I missed you befoe.

Very nicely presented and Jason's idea is another option, interesting too.

Ed Cordes
01-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Very intimate view of the falls, I really like how they "peek" through the rocks, a very tranquil and pretty scene. The texture of the rocks and lines near the waters edge add a lot to the scene also. The cliff face and the distant falls is the image to me, I am not sure that the foreground adds a lot to the composition, and the rocks to the right bottom corner I find a little distracting. I would consider a crop right above the large swirl of white water in the foreground. With that crop, you place much more emphasis on the focal point of the image, the cliffs, color, and distant falls, while still maintaining that intimate feel of the image. You also then have the curve of the river bank acting as much more of a leading line, drawing your eye from the foreground into the scene. If you would like to me repost with my crop suggestion please let me know and I would be happy to.

Jason

Thanks for the comments Jason and Fabs. Yes, I have been a lurker for a while. Mostly BC I have been extremely busy with all stuff not photography. It is now 9:15 PM and I just got home from work and an after work meeting!!!

Jason I would like to see what you have in mind. Feel free to upload the image and play away. If you want to have me email it I can.

Thanks again to both of you.

Ed