PDA

View Full Version : Black throated Green Warbler

Dave Brown
09-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Immature female BTGW taken early morning yesterday within canopy of alder trees. Difficult conditions for photograohy,but this how you find rare southern warblers in Nfld in late summer/fall. While this bird is not rare it was confiding.

Canon 30D
300mm F4 @ F4, 1/400 sec
ISO 500

Dave Brown

John Chardine
09-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Hi Dave- I like this a lot. The whole bird is in focus and sharp and the head angle and overall composition are excellent. Nice light too. The BG is good, although a touch busy. You could clean up the BG a bit by cropping. The light OOF branches at the far left distract a little. I don't mind the slightly overhead view here.

Doug Brown
09-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Really nice Dave! Angle is a bit steep, and I agree with John's points. Here's a repost with a brightening and contrast boost to the bird, some selective sharpening, and a little BG work. How do you like it?

Judy Lynn Malloch
09-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Agree with the above comments and suggestions. Love the great color and wonderful detail in this image and it is sharp al the way through. Very nice capture.

Dave Brown
09-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Hi Doug,

I like your repost. Removing the twigs on the left side really helped and the work with the BG looks better too. I was tempted to do that originally but figured I'd just make thing worse :) The additional brightening and contrast really help to accentuate the yellow supercillium and malar stripe, from the green ear coverts. ty very much.

Dave Brown

Ramon M. Casares
09-07-2008, 04:12 PM
I like it, and the repost looks better to me too, although I think the angle is not idea, the head turn is good enought! Congratulations!

Linda Robbins
09-07-2008, 04:20 PM
The repost looks improved this nice image. Nice pose and sharp detail. Warblers are tough, and this is a nice capture!

Grace Scalzo
09-07-2008, 07:30 PM
I'll go out on a limb here (Sorry, bad pun) and say that I like the angle for this bird, it allows a nice look at some of the details on the underside that you don't often see, yet the face is nice too.