PDA

View Full Version : The greyhound

Susan Griffith
09-06-2008, 10:36 PM
I know this image is soft. I was experimenting with AI servo mode on a 5D and a 500mm F4 with IS mounted on a Gitzo tripod and an acra ball head.

Some friends own rescued greyhounds and we all volunteer at a greyhound rescue, which is soo much fun. Well on Sat mornings a few people take their dogs to a private dog run and these dogs literally fly around the fenced 4 acred. The dogs are muzzled to keep them from injuring the other dogs if the get a little over zealous.

I am hoping to produce some not so soft images shortly, still getting the hang of long lense technique. Any suggestions for improving long lense technique in action photos is much appreciated. I have to admit I love this lense.. its clarity is amasing when not chasing moving objects :)

Thanks for looking

-Susan

Alfred Forns
09-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Hi Susan Do have one big suggestion ...... you need a different head !!! For the 500 you could go with the Mongoose 3.5 or Wimberly If you know a 600 is not in the works would go for the Mongoose.

Panning with a ballhead is no fun and difficult. Not sure is is focus or movement? Might want to list the specs The only key is smooth panning and fallow through after pressing the shutter. Magnificent dog sure wish you could get some images without the muzzle btw interesting crop I like it with the dog leaping up in the air, would place lower down/right in the frame.

Susan Griffith
09-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Hi Al,

The specs for this shot are:

Canon 5D, ISO 400, F/8, 1/160th, AI servo

It looks like the shutter speed may have been a little slow considering the greyhound was close to 35mph by the time i pressed the shutter release, as well as the ball head.

The oppertunity to get photos with out the muzzles is possible and am working on it, they just have to be run solo. I have to admit these puppies really impress me and we are considering adopting a couple in a year or 2. They really deserve a loving home after being raced.

I am going to place an order for the Mongoos 3.5a with the next paycheck and can see how it would ease panning.

You know what they say.. Practice, Practice, Practice and thats what I am doing now that I have a bit more time :D

I will try to get a different crop up later tonight as per your suggestion.

-Susan

Harold Davis
09-07-2008, 02:18 PM
agree with al!!! i can feel your pain trying to pan with a ballhead!! no fun at all!! good luck and hope you get the mongoose!!

Jackie Schuknecht
09-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Like the sense of action. I know you will nail it. (Or at least have fun trying):)