PDA

View Full Version : Nuthatch (Sitta europea)

Jacqui Hendry
01-13-2008, 01:46 PM
After practicing all week and trying out higher ISO's and basically listening to advice in the Eager To Learn section I feel that now I can add an image into this section (correct me if you think I am wrong) as I am pleased with this one :)

This image was taken today in my garden, I have placed an old tree trunk upside down, and have sprinkled nuts and dried meal worms into the little holes and cracks for the birds to eat & this little chap is a frequent visitor :)

I have cloned a few small crumbs from his beak and made minor adjustments in CS2, I have also ran the background through Noise Ninja.

Canon 1DmkIII, 300f4 + 1.4, f5.6, ISO1250, 1/320,Tripod

Jacqui Hendry
01-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Hmmm

Now I'm looking at it again, maybe I should have put it into the Eager to learn section after all !

Sorry

J

Jim Neiger
01-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Hi Jacqui,

I think this image is ready for this forum. You have a beautiful little subject in a pleasant pose with a nice perch and a great bg. Your description of how you setup for this image was very informative and interesting. In fact, I only have one small nit for you. The little branch that was cut would be better if cut at angle away from the camera so the white wood isn't visible. A jagged cut would help as well. That's it. Everything else looks just fine.

Rosl Roessner
01-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Hi Jacqui,
now you've got the right pose an good sharpnes.
I agree with the small branch, that is disturbing. Everything else looks fine :-))

Jacqui Hendry
01-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Hi Jim

Thank you for pointing out the little twig, It's typical he never usually goes on that part of the tree!

I have set up another feeder/pecking post in my garden today for the woodpeckers, though this Nutty Nuthatch went onto it too, hopefully tomorrow I will be able to photograph him in different poses, If my model is obliging that is ;)

Jacqui

Martin Dyer
01-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Jacqui,

Agree with the other guys re. cut and you are absolutely ready to post in this part of the forum:).

My only other point is if those white bits on the branches are some sort of food source then you need to be careful to get rid of them from the viewfinder before you take the shot so get out there with your brush.

that said, I don't get these in my garden now I have moved house so I am jealous anyway :(

Cheers

Jacqui Hendry
01-13-2008, 02:26 PM
LOL .... It's bird poo !

Will clean it tomorrow :D

Jim Neiger
01-13-2008, 03:01 PM
:D I missed the bird poop. You could also clone it out quite easily.

Lana Hays
01-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Jacqui
You are definitely ready to start posting on the main forums. The exposure, details, color, sharpness are all very good. Outside of the one branch I really don't have any suggestions. You can put up nice perches...they don't always land where you'd like. Too funny about the bird poo. Obviously your perch is very successful.

Jacqui Hendry
01-13-2008, 03:06 PM
I will have to call Martin "Eagle eye" from now on :D

Dave Courtenay
01-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Nice image of a lovely bird-agree with the comments above-the poop shows he is regular (to you garden)

John Cooper
01-14-2008, 03:21 AM
You have done well Jacqui - I love the diagonal composition but would tend to clone out that sawn-off twig at front - very distracting.
A fill flash often works wonders and in this case would have added an all important catchlight to the eye. love the soft BG.

Jacqui Hendry
01-14-2008, 03:40 AM
Thank you everyone who has commented, I have taken on board all advice given and will try to carry out all suggestions :)

Jacqui