PDA

View Full Version : Scanned BW Negatives

Tim Townsend
09-06-2008, 01:30 PM
I have about 3-4,000 4"x5" Tri-X negatives that I want to scan and enhance. Scanning is not an issue (except for time involved). On the other hand, fine selection (e.g., sky regions) behind an object of interest is a real problem when I need to drop the sky tonal value and blur the grain detail. Grain is large, and of course, there is no color differentiation I can use for the selection method. Frequently, the object is a granite mountain of approximately the same tonal value as the sky.

Robert O'Toole
09-06-2008, 05:37 PM
In my experiences with scanning the problem was always lint, dust and detritus! Glad to hear you dont have this problem.

The grain it what makes Tri-X, tri-x you cant get rid of it!! :D

Without any major tone changes to help with an auto mask, making selections in a case like this is just a matter of using a mask and a brush tool. But this can be time consuming.

Robert

Tim Townsend
09-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks Robert. Yes a brush tool is time consuming and imperfect at best. I guess I'm still searching for magic!

Michael Pancier
09-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Tim, if you use Photoshop or Aperture, consider Nik Viveza. It is an amazing tool for retouching esp. B&W. I use it for my infrared shots. Makes it a breeze dodging and burning; darkening skies; etc.