PDA

View Full Version : Lilliputian Landscapes #2 - The Flora of Lilliput

Ed Vatza
09-06-2008, 08:59 AM
OK, I want to try one more macro landscape. This is a 1:1 macro close-up of a variety of lichens growing on a shelf fungus. It is from the same series as my throwdown landscape. I just think it is very different from what we normally see here. Doesn't necessarily mean it is good though! :) Your thoughts? How can it be improved?

Image made with my Canon Rebel XT; Sigma 150mm Macro lens with Sigma 1.4x TC and Kenko 20mm extension tube; Canon 430 EX Flash with LumiQuest Softbox mounted on a flexible flash bracket; and all tripod-mounted with a Novoflex Focusing Rail.

1.3 sec @ f/25; ISO 800; +1 EV; FEC -1; Focal length 210mm

Small crop at top and right, slight shadows and highlights adjustments, USM, Neat Image noise reduction.

Amy DeStefanis
09-06-2008, 09:11 AM
HI Ed.

It looks like the slope of a pine forest into a mountain valley. (but then, I'm a Florida girl, so what do I know from mountains and valleys?)

This one works a little better for me. It ALMOST appears that I'm looking down off a cliff (the foreground), into the valley or a gulch.... is that what you were going for?

Amy D.

Julie Kenward
09-07-2008, 01:04 PM
To me there is both too much and not enough going on. Lots of little things here and there but where is the thing that makes me want to continue to look at the image? My eye keeps going to the hot spot in the middle and that drags my eye to the OOF area in the foreground and none of it makes me want to keep looking at this. It just feels like the real subject has just left the frame and I'm waiting for it to come back.

It's just my opinion but, without something special in the midst of all the green to hold my attention, I just find it lacking.

Robert O'Toole
09-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Well really not your strongest image Ed, as mentioned the image lacks a subject. Even a small snail or other little critter would have made the image a lot more successful.
Always be care about having OOF objects in the foreground. They tend to drag your eye to them.

Robert

Ed Vatza
09-08-2008, 08:36 PM
OK OK OK!!! Scotch the macro landscape idea. At least for now!! :):):)

Anita Rakestraw
09-15-2008, 02:55 PM
LOL, Ed, about scotching your macro landscape idea! The idea draws me too, I've tried it recently even, but have not yet quite succeeded. I think we should both keep trying!!