PDA

View Full Version : Jellyfish

ChasMcRae
09-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Not really sure where to post this,since not many jellyfish pics posted.

Picture of brown jellyfish in Mediterranean Sea near dock on Aegina Island, Greece. They were numerous but hard to get focused through water and profiled.

Any ideas of species ? Does not look like internet pics of Mediterranean Jellyfish ,but may be wide variation
?

Chas.

File size: 148KB
Camera Model: Canon EOS 20D
Firmware: Adobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
Date/Time: 2008:08:13 11:40:49
Shutter speed: 1/160 sec
Aperture: 8
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: -1/3
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 200
Focal length: 135mm
Image size: 800 x 566
Rotation: none
Color space: sRGB
Color profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Ed Vatza
09-06-2008, 05:12 AM
Hi Charles,

I'm not certain but from the description it sounds like the Wildlife Forum would be the best place for images such as these. But hey, I'm just a poster like you. If the powers to be feel that way, I am sure they will move it.

I really like the water in this image. The color is beautiful. And I like the small fish swirling about. But I do think the jellyfish gets a bit lost (lost is probably not the best word since it does stand out against the background but I mean lost in terms of it being smallish) in the image. It would be nice if it captured a larger part of the frame - assuming of course the jelly was your primary subject in this image. Maybe cropping in might help. Your call.

Mike Moats
09-06-2008, 05:17 AM
Hey Charles, very cool image. The jellyfish realy pops against the abstracty BG. Great colors, and good details on the Jellyfish.

Amy DeStefanis
09-06-2008, 08:53 AM
I have no idea what kind it is, but it's very interesting looking. Looks like someone's rolled him in toasted sesame seeds. You got him just as he was taking a stroke - it worked out really well!!!

Amy D.

Sandra Nykerk
09-06-2008, 09:29 AM
I photographed the same species at the Monterey Aquarium, where it is indeed labeled as a Mediterranean Jellyfish. Same gorgeous creature, same blue spots. If you like, I can email you one of my images for you to compare. Very very cool to have seen one in its actual habitat.

ChasMcRae
09-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Yes Sandra please send jellyfish pic esp if you have a label pic.of it also.
The jellyfish was left smallish to include the school of the fish that hung around it. May not work as an image ,but that was what I was trying for.

Chas.

ChasMcRae
09-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Also for some unknown reasoning I didn't think it would fit in with Leopards and Elephants,etc.smoothly.

Chas.

Julie Kenward
09-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Charles, I love the colors and the subject here but would love to see a tighter crop to really show off the detail in the jellyfish. Your water is really lovely!!!