PDA

View Full Version : Climb Every Mountain

Julie Kenward
09-05-2008, 09:28 PM
After two VERY long weeks at work, I finally got my 30-employee office moved into our new digs. We finished the move in time for me to run outside with my camera for the first time in four days and spend an hour before sunset walking a nearby lake.

Here's my favorite image of the evening...a lone ant making its way up the side of a huge sunflower plant. Man, it felt good to be outside again.

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
f4.5 @ 1/160th, ISO 250
Handheld, AWB, Overcast skies
Center-weighted metering
Processed in Camera Raw & CS3 with minor adjustments in curves & yellow saturation, small crop.

Mike Moats
09-06-2008, 05:15 AM
Hey Jules, I like this alot. The backside of this flower makes a very interesting comp, and the ant adds a nice touch.

Ed Vatza
09-06-2008, 05:16 AM
Good morning Jules,

I like this image. First off, I do like the amount of depth that you've been able to capture at f/4.5. And I think the detail in the petals is excellent as is the color. No yellow saturation problems here as far as I can tell. I also love the "fuzzy" detail in the greens. Very nice. Oh and the ant looks like a handsome devil! ;)

Aristotle Georgiou
09-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Superb Jules, love the composition, nice light, excellent detail and like the ant which adds to this image.

Robert O'Toole
09-06-2008, 11:10 AM
The comp is nice and tbe shapes and details are interesting and of course the ant is a plus.

Julie I dont have a clue why no one else notices this kind of thing but you should convert your images to sRGB prior to posting, this one looks really drab and a little dark in a browser on a calibrated monitor. I am sure the image looks much better.

Robert

Amy DeStefanis
09-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Hi Jules,

I would be interested to see it in sRGB, too - I love it as posted, but I'm using Safari for a browser, and I'm always curious to know what palette something is in so that I can see if can tell a difference. To me, it looks just right.

Not overbright, but not drab, either. The light is flat, and has a contemplative mood to it. It makes the ant's umm.... surface.... look satiny. Calming, and I love the details of the fuzz on the leaves (or whatever that part is called.... time to get a basic botany book)....

Amy D.

Julie Kenward
09-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Robert, I know that sRGB is what I should use but I never remember to do it. I'll redo this one when I get home to my calibrated monitor and try that.

It is funny...you'd think someone would have noticed this before but I figured since no one had a problem with my other images and my monitor is calibrated that they were all looking okay on the web. It will be interesting to see what the difference is!

Julie Kenward
09-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Here it is in sRGB. If the color difference is minor and it still looks drab then it could be that my monitor needs to be recalibrated. I just haven't had time lately!

Robert O'Toole
09-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Julie,

Well the greens look greener and brighter. looks nice.

You should set up an action so you dont have to remember in the future.

Robert

Amy DeStefanis
09-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Hi Jules,

It's hard to tell scrolling back and forth, but I do believe I see deeper blacks - so a little more contrast, making the rest pop a little more....

Amy D.