PDA

View Full Version : Mycena group

Martin Dyer
01-13-2008, 12:35 PM
A small group of Mycena fungi taken last year in my local woods.

Got the camera as low as it would go without resorting to digging

Used a bit of silver foil to reflect some light under the gill

Canon 5D, 100mm f2.8 macro, no flash

Chris Davidson
01-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Nice job getting low on this one, Martin!
I know from experience how tough that is.
Looks like the foil did a great job of reflecting light.
Very nice image!
With a little more cropped off the top, reducing the OOF background greens seems
to give me better view. IMO a minor nit a best, looks good either way.

Chris Starbuck
01-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Great job on the lighting -- just the right amount of reflected light to show the gill details while keeping a natural-looking balance. I really like the subtle diagonal arrangement of the caps. I rather like the OOF background; to me it adds both context and a sense of depth. If you do decide to crop, I suggest you maintain about the same space between the top of the uppermost mushroom and the edge of the frame as you have on the left & right sides of the group.

Robert O'Toole
01-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Excellent Job Martin.

It almost looks too good, almost like a set up terrarium shot!!

The lighting is perfect. I think the crop is perfect for me also.

Thanks for taking time to post.

Robert

John Cooper
01-13-2008, 08:03 PM
What a great image Martin of this cluster of mycena species. I love the way you have included some of the surrounding habitat. The reflector has added just enough lightto soften the shadows under the caps - the remaining shadows serve to highlight the pale stems. great work.

Steve Foss
01-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Excellent image, Martin. The lighting as mentioned is just right, the comp is beautifully balanced with elements in the environment. My disk has a sliver reflector on one side (for cool light) and a gold one on the other side (for warmer light). I often use both to see which effect I like best.

Mike Moats
01-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Hey Martin, I like this a lot. a perfectly composed little family. I look for these shots but haven't been able to find a group this nice. Great job balancing the light with the foil. Good details and nice DOF for the BG. Crop looks good also.

Kaushik Balakumar
01-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Wow, lovely image & I have learnt a new lesson from ur post - i.e. use of alu foils for lighting. It has really done a good job here.

Thanks for sharing...

Regards,
Kaushik