PDA

View Full Version : Jewel flower

Ryan Lepik
09-05-2008, 08:31 AM
My first post. Interested in opinions of the shot.

Gus Cobos
09-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Hi Ryan,
I like your composition...see if you like the modification I did...:cool:

Amy DeStefanis
09-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Greetings, Ryan.

What a beautiful, and unusual bloom! Thanks for showing it to us.

It looks to me like there is a shadow on the lower petal - maybe the flash was being blocked by a long lens, or the subject was a little close for a camera-mounted flash?? If you post the stats on the shot, it would help to see where that came from....

I like Gus's edit, cloning out the background stem. Looks like he brought down the highlights a little as well.

Nice sharp detail and Depth Of Field.

Now I have to go find this plant, I think it needs to be in my collection of unusual blooms!!! :)

Welcome!
Amy D.

Mike Moats
09-06-2008, 05:10 AM
Hey Ryan, welcome to BPN, and hope to see more of your images. Nice details and I think Gus helped out by removing the green blotches. I would have liked to seen the whole flower by including the top part. Very nice, and looking forward to seeing more.

Ed Vatza
09-06-2008, 05:25 AM
One of my favorite flowers, Ryan. My guide book refers to the as "Touch-me-nots". There are Pale Touch-me-nots (yellow) and Spotted Touch-me-nots (orange with spots). I love photographing these flowers.

I think your image and Gus's re-edit look good. My major issue is the fact that the top of the flower is cut off. You may have been able to back off slightly but knowing how these flowers hang, that could have brought a lot of background issues into play.

Oh and by the way, hummingbirds love these flowers!

Ryan Lepik
09-06-2008, 07:18 AM
Gus, I do like your little modification & yes the shadow is probably from the lens as I used the pop up flash. Comments well taken, thanks.