PDA

View Full Version : American Alligator

Michael Lloyd
01-13-2008, 12:08 PM
I took this shot while on a photography outing with my daughter. We went to Brazos Bend State Park (TX) and walked a trail around 40 Acre Lake. This guy is apparently a regular there and from what I've heard the sounds that he makes during breeding season are very impressive.

I wasn't very close to the alligator when I took this shot. I was also off to the side. I DO NOT recommend being in front of an alligator. I've seen one launch out the water (protective mother) and cover 15 feet in the blink of an eye. Most of the time they appear to be docile and slow. They are neither. The can and will eat you. If they eat you someone will get your camera :D That said my daughter took a pretty cool shot down the mouth of the same alligator. At the time I thought that we were far enough away that he couldn't get to us. I now know that I was wrong and we will never get that close again.

Dang it... forgot the info again

EOS1DsMkII
300mm f2.8 Handheld
ISO 100
1/1000 @ f2.8

http://images34.fotki.com/v1077/photos/4/42560/4148659/10_14_06_BBSP_10PC-vi.jpg

D. Robert Franz
01-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Boy I almost missed this imgae. I like the composition with a strong diagonal setting for the gator. You captured a nice catchlight in the eye and a real nice look at ethe teeth. I would like to have seen just a bit more room on the bottom and right side of the frame to incluce the foot. Well done...

Glenn Heinecke
01-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Michael,

I probably have a photo of this gator as well. I go to BBSP several times a year. Great capture. No nits here.

Glenn

Michael Lloyd
01-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks Robert. I think I have a better version of this shot (I know that I have the raw file). What I posted may be a little tighter crop (not much though).

Hey Glenn- Seems odd responding to someone just up the road :D I'm sure you've seen him then. He was down by the observation tower when I took this shot.