PDA

View Full Version : High-stepping Lesser Yellowlegs

Beth Goffe
09-05-2008, 06:38 AM
Saw this one at Jamaica Bay last weekend. The sun was already up pretty high by the time I got there and I wish for a better head turn but I like the walking pose and the water's reflections on its belly. This is another first-of-species image for me so, while it's not perfect, I'm quite happy with it.

http://www.pbase.com/bgoffe/image/102674108/original.jpg

40D, 400 f5.6, 1/800s, f/7.1, EC 1.33, ISO 400

Axel Hildebrandt
09-05-2008, 07:33 AM
I like the striding pose and eye contact and might crop a bit off the top.

Ramon M. Casares
09-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Agree with you about the light Beth, and with Axel on the crop, but still this is a very nichw shot. The water helped to lighen the shadows behind the bird. A better head turn would've been great but this is not that bad at all. Congratulations!

Gyorgy Szimuly
09-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Nice image. Looks the bird needs to collect some fat as it is in a quite bad condition.
Wish for a bit lower perspective :)

Szimi

Judy Lynn Malloch
09-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Lovely action you captured in this image and your timing was perfect. I agree a slightly lower angle would be nice and also Axel's suggestion on cropping. Very nice work Beth and many thanks for sharing.

WIlliam Maroldo
09-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Good exposure and sharpness. I noticed two things, other than needing a lower perspective as already pointed out. The background is kind of blotchy, which could easily be dealt with a clone brush. The fact that the reflection is clipped, and there is inadequate space for what Al calls "virtual feet" is much more problematic, and cropping the top doesn't rectify this. A lower perspective and framing with more of a consideration of the reflection would probably help next time you see one of these guys! regards~Bill

Beth Goffe
09-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the comments, everyone! I had noticed the blotches in the water but just didn't feel like cloning them at the time. As mentioned, it's an easy fix and I'll probably go back and clean them out. The reflection wasn't that attractive so I figured cropping some of it out would work. I tried not cutting the virtual leg but perhaps I got too ambitious. Fortunately I've got room to play with there. I definitely could have gotten lower, too, but I wasn't in the mood that day to lay down in the lovely Jamaica Bay mud. I wonder if that mud may be good for the skin, though. I'll have to look into that. :)